X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted in Ireland, UK?

There are a lot of discussions here about tourists wearing kilts in Scotland, but what about in Ireland, England, or Wales? What has been the reaction of locals to non-Scots kilted? Especially places such as Dublin, London, the west coast of Ireland, Northern Ireland, the north of England, both towns and cities.
    Last edited by kilted2000; 4th July 22 at 11:22 PM.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people in England, Wales and the whole island of Ireland will react to the kilt very much like they do in your country. Some will be enthusiastic, some will dislike it and some won’t care, most will keep their views to themselves.
    Personally, I would keep your kilt wearing to Scotland where they at least might have some sensible knowledge of the kilt, even if they don’t ever wear the kilt themselves. The problem you will have in Scotland is that you could be regarded, in a good natured way, as yet another tourist playing at being a Scot. You may not hear that comment but it will most certainly be thought.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th July 22 at 12:17 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted anywhere.

[QUOTE=kilted2000;1399703]There are a lot of discussions here about tourists wearing kilts in Scotland, but what about in Ireland, England, or Wales?

I can say, after many trips to the UK, where I am generally kilted for most of our time there - up to several months at a time, I have not experienced any problems. I have, however, had many interesting conversations. Conversations that bring to light cultural aspects the average American might not suspect exist. For example talking with a Scottish gent in St. James Park, London. He admired my kilt and said he wished he could wear one but he worked there in London. He touched his tartan bow tie briefly. “This is all I can get away with here.” He said, sadly. Lingering prejudice can affect one’s work status.

I could go on but prefer to encourage you to wear a kilt the same way you would any other clothing over your lower body. You know you will stand out in almost any crowd but a UN formal dinner party. There, in your formal kilt attire you will fit right in.

So don’t be a clown show, dress for comfort, and for heaven’s sake, wear the kilt. Don’t feel it wears you. Don’t look in shop windows to check your reflection (at least not too often). Scotland, Ireland, England - no problems. Be friendly and talk with people about things they are interested in. They might be so flattered they won’t even notice anything remarkable about your attire. That’s is what success is all about . . . understanding other people’s world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most popular question in Northern Ireland: Is there a band parade?
    In RoI: Are you going to a wedding?
    Everywhere: Is is true?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To give a counter point..... I wear a kilt as regular attire and have worn it in just about every province of Canada, the USA, Mexico, England, Scotland and Japan and have only received positive comments... I have also asked to be in many photos, particularly in Japan and Mexico.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my kilt around once a week in England.

One person ran out to take my photo!
    Most ignore it.
    One Scot admired my guts.
    One lady (someone I know) could not handle it at all but her husband thinks its awesome.

I'm not sure how it would go down if I went to office in Birmingham or London wearing it?