X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13 Things Not to say to a Scot

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/t...3759479?page=1
    From the Scotsman. It may be behind a paywall. Some kilt related ones as well.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I hear them all. ...................Several times a year. Number two grates the most.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Yes! I hear them all. ...................Several times a year. Number two grates the most.
    Was at an antique store, a couple weeks ago I think, and all of the sudden I get a "are you from Scotland" in a thick accent behind me. Now, when I hear that, if it's in an American accent, I'd normally say "partially" because I know what Americans typically mean by that. But when I hear it in a "Scottish" accent (in quotes for a reason), I think one of two things:

1. They're trying to do a fake Scottish accent, which sometimes happens, and are poking fun at it. In which case they're being obnoxious and the answer is "no" because I'd rather quell that and then have a more serious grownup discussion on the subject.

2. They're actually from Scotland and the accent is authentic. It's sometimes hard to tell when you've only got a couple words to go on and you didn't know they were talking to you when they said it. But if this is the case, the meaning behind the question is different than when an American asks it. So the answer is also "no", with further explanation to follow.

In this case, nearly before I could finish saying the word "no", he immediately asked "Ireland?"

"I am 100% American with ancestry from Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, among others."

"Oh, I'm from Scotland, and I saw the kilt so I was wondering."

...or something like that. In this case, it turns out he was asking more in the American sense of wondering about ancestry. But my typical response to that question is something along those lines - one of my favorites is "assembled in America with foreign components from all over mostly Northern Europe", or "I'm made of a bunch of countries that tried to kill each other for centuries" - I mean, I've also got ancestry from both England and France as well. Just basically whatever seems appropriate to how the person's asking the question.
    Last edited by MichiganKyle; 10th July 22 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Missing a "mostly"

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst under the kilt issue is when you're in some place like a Legion and the wise guys present tell the women that you have nothing on underneath. Then the ladies all want to have a look to see if it's true and the drunken ones will actually do it too, probably after the half-drunk ones have come staggering up asking for permission.

For the record, I wear blasted undershorts at all times. Now don't bother me.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Lallans For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps one of the worst would be “Are you folks from England?”

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post: