X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good general history

I'm looking for a good general history of Scotland. I would prefer a social history over something that is only a political history.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do we start to answer this, when there has been several hundred years of writing?

Your own reading taste will tell, but if we break the subject into general Scottish history and Highland history, it is perhaps easier to give suggestions.

The earlier works, which normally extend to several volumes, are the ones which later writers use for their sources, as the research has been done extensively and in depth. Of these, James Logan's 1830s two-volume 'The Scottish Gael' is foremost for its scholarly research and coverage, putting the history in a European pre-Roman context and up to the start of the Victorian period.

Contemporary with Logan, James Browne's 1838 four-volume set 'History of the Highlands and of the Highland Clans' is excellent, and leaves little more to be said except finer details.

In 1883, John Keltie brought out his 'History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments' that was produced either as a two-volume set, or in eight divisions, and is pretty much what the title says.

Col. David Stewart of Garth's 'Sketches of the Character, Manners and present state of the Highlanders of Scotland' of 1822 is the go-to source for many readers and writers, and he gives details that most military historians and re-enactors would do well to swat up on.

For something much more recent, John Mackie (professor of history at the University of Glasgow) is one of the most respected historians, whose concise 'A History of Scotland' puts Scottish history into context, both within the mass of Britain and within its own national borders.

William Kermack's 'Historial Geography of Scotland' deals much more with the people and origin of the nation, and is a good partner to his 'The Scottish Highlands - a short history 300-1746' and is one of the most concise accounts of the region. I know personally one of his research historians, and their knowledge is a gold-mine of valuable material.

More recently still, John Prebble's series 'Glencoe' 'Culloden' 'The Highland Clearances' and 'Mutiny' are the finest narratives of the times and events yet produced, written with old-fashioned journalistic skill for presenting fact accurately and dispassionately. His 'Lion in the North' is a documentary history, given in a start-to-finish style of a story, or narration, of Scotland up to the present day. If you were to read one, and no others, I would suggest this.

Something more modern and specific is Fitzroy Maclean's 'Highlanders' which is a large, well-illustrated 'coffee-table' book that ought to be in every clansman's libary. But beware, it will both strengthen and shatter the illusions you have of the clans.

Good reading..!

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magnus Magnusson's "Scotland - The Story of a Nation" should definitely be there,

Alan

5. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magnusson's text is very good.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to COScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for more of a social history. Isn't Magnusson's book more about politics?
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like the story telling facet of Scottish life, Sir Walter Scott's Tales of a Scottish Grandfather Vols 1-4 is enjoyable.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I was looking for more of a social history. Isn't Magnusson's book more about politics?
    I think a very broad understanding of the historical political cross currents(particularly local ones) through the ages does help, as whether we like it or not, they did influence historical aspects of social matters to a greater or lesser extent.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th July 22 at 06:09 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COScotsman View Post
    If you like the story telling facet of Scottish life, Sir Walter Scott's Tales of a Scottish Grandfather Vols 1-4 is enjoyable.
    But on the story telling front, Sir Walter did just make things up in "Tales of a Grandfather." Together with David Stewart of Garth, Scott also presided over the King George IV's 'Jaunt' to Edinburgh in 1822, and all that followed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the advice of various posters above and am reading Magnusson's book. I am also reading Waverly, it seems like it's the book that started it all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast