X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casual outdoor kilt wear at the Inverness Highland Games

Haven't been around much in the last months, but me and my wife were finally able to get back to Scotland after two years. This is me at the Inverness Highland Games 2022 with a more casual outfit. (My hiking boots look bigger than they really are in this!)

Also, here are some additional pictures from the City of Inverness Pipe Band that I took as they passed along the stands. (You can click on the images to get the full version.)

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Octobrachium For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You look sensibly and properly dressed. Well done, Lad.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of questions , if I may? I can assure you that there is no criticism implied, just interest.

1. Why did you decide to wear boots to the occasion?
    2. Did you get an impression that the local spectators were kilted or not?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    1. Why did you decide to wear boots to the occasion?
    2. Did you get an impression that the local spectators were kilted or not?
    Sure! The Boots were a practical decision due to not being able to carry as much (I also didn't bring a jacket for that reason). We were on a two-week camping trip up to Assynt and I did not have space for a pair of dress shoes. So I decided to try the rustic version, matching brown leather boots with the brown outdoor sporran and belt and see how it looks.

I think it kinda works, but I also think that the boots stand out a bit much.

Very few of the local spectators were kilted. Granted, there were a lot of tourists (like us), but I saw just a literal handful of well-fitting kilts and another ten or so of badly wrinkled "kilt-like" items. (Aside from the members of the two pipe bands, of course.)

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Octobrachium For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Octobrachium View Post
    "Sure! The Boots were a practical decision due to not being able to carry as much (I also didn't bring a jacket for that reason). We were on a two-week camping trip up to Assynt and I did not have space for a pair of dress shoes. So I decided to try the rustic version, matching brown leather boots with the brown outdoor sporran and belt and see how it looks."

JS.
    Yes I quite understand that you were "hedging your bets"on unfamiliar ground. Very sensible.

"I think it kinda works, but I also think that the boots stand out a bit much."

JS.
    Yes I think that you are correct, I think the boots do stand out a bit much.

"Very few of the local spectators were kilted. Granted, there were a lot of tourists (like us), but I saw just a literal handful of well-fitting kilts and another ten or so of badly wrinkled "kilt-like" items. (Aside from the members of the two pipe bands, of course.)"

JS.
    This confirms what I see when visiting a Games in Scotland.
    Thank you so much for taking the trouble in answering my questions, it does very much confirm what I see at a games, which is handy when offering advice and offering observations to others on this website.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: