X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Chieftains I through IV on CD

I was once the happy owner of a set of the first 4 Chieftains albums on CD but they disappeared on me. That was in fact some years ago, and I've looked to buy another one, but in vain. If anyone knows of a source for the set that doesn't have a huge collectors' premium price attached to it, please let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't find the set there, no. Thing is, it's not being made anymore. Nor it seems are those early CDs being made individually. The pure historical tunes are being lost, at least for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 29th July 22 at 07:27 PM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Many thanks!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Lallans For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallans View Post
    I was once the happy owner of a set of the first 4 Chieftains albums on CD but they disappeared on me. That was in fact some years ago, and I've looked to buy another one, but in vain. If anyone knows of a source for the set that doesn't have a huge collectors' premium price attached to it, please let me know.
    I am about to go to a folk festival - in Sidmouth, Devon - and I can keep an eye out for these - there are, normally, several large stands which set up for the week and have thousands of old recordings vinyl, cd and cassettes, thankfully in alphabetical order of performer.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I am about to go to a folk festival - in Sidmouth, Devon - and I can keep an eye out for these - there are, normally, several large stands which set up for the week and have thousands of old recordings vinyl, cd and cassettes, thankfully in alphabetical order of performer.

Anne the Pleater
    Very nice of you but probably not worth the trouble, Anne, I've already ordered them from Amazon for about $70 in our northern pesos, including shipping. HOWEVER if by some chance you find them for a very low price, I'll of course gladly refund you that plus S&H and return the Amazonian ones under their guarantee. The thing is that in my experience English prices are very high, so you'll probably find similar ones.
    Last edited by Lallans; 31st July 22 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem - I generally have a browse around at least once in the week and you never know what might turn up on the boxes.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The box set of Chieftains 1-4 arrived today. I shall try hard to hold onto this one, pretty sure the others rolled out the door at my last place of employment, something that happened to some surprising items. Anyway, mission complete.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listening to these discs brings home what a pool of talent the Chieftains represented, centred around piper Paddy Maloney but with other geniuses of tradition instruments such as Derek Bell on the Irish harp. I fear their like will never be seen again and pray Claddagh Records will hold on to and preserve those master tapes.

I used to slightly annoy a young Irish woman of my acquaintance by saying that the Chieftains' early recordings were a musical preservation of the Celtic bronze age, a statement that wasn't completely accurate and yet somehow completely true as well.
    Last edited by Lallans; 27th August 22 at 12:14 PM.