X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 Worlds new tartans

Soon the 2022 World Pipe Band Championships will be upon us, the first held since 2019.

We band-watching tartan-spotting folks will notice a few new tartans appearing in the Grade One circle.

Literally "new" in some cases, the tartans being designed during the shutdown.

In other cases new only to Grade One, the bands being promoted just before the shutdown.

Of the 14 bands scheduled for the Grade One contest, only six are wearing established/traditional Clan tartans (MacLean of Duart, MacCallum, Fraser, MacPherson, and MacKay.

Here, clockwise from upper left, are

Scottish Power Pipe Band (Scottish Power tartan, said to have been designed in 1995) (This is by no means a new tartan to the Grade One circle, but it is a nice example of a bespoke band tartan)

City of Dunedin Pipe Band (USA) (Edgewater tartan, said to have been designed by Pipe Major Iain Donaldson)

Closkelt Pipe Band (Northern Ireland) (Drumgooland tartan, said to have been designed and adopted in 2017)

Police Scotland and Federation Pipe Band (Scottish Police Federation tartan, 2021, said to have been based on the "1790 City of Glasgow" tartan)

Last edited by OC Richard; 31st July 22 at 07:42 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=OC Richard;1400084]
    Literally "new" in some cases, the tartans being designed during the shutdown.

Here, clockwise from upper left, are

Scottish Power Pipe Band (Scottish Power tartan, said to have been designed in 1995) (This is by no means a new tartan to the Grade One circle, but it is a nice example of a bespoke band tartan)

City of Dunedin Pipe Band (USA) (Edgewater tartan, said to have been designed by Pipe Major Iain Donaldson)

Closkelt Pipe Band (Northern Ireland) (Drumgooland tartan, said to have been designed and adopted in 2017)

Police Scotland and Federation Pipe Band (Scottish Police Federation tartan, 2021, said to have been based on the "1790 City of Glasgow" tartan)/QUOTE]

Richard,

None of these are 'Lockdown Tartans'.

A couple of new to me tartans here: Edgewater and Drumgooland, neither of which are on the STA's or SRT's database. I've now added them to the STA's Db.

As you mentioned, the Drumgooland tartans was designed in 2017, and the Edgewater was designed in 2014 by Lothian Kilt Rentails (Tarpon Spring, FL) as a Fashion/House tartan.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post

None of these are 'Lockdown Tartans'.
    Only the Scottish Police Federation tartan, if what the band's website implies is correct, that it was adopted in 2021.

Of course the tartan could have been around longer, perhaps worn as neckties by members of the Federation, and only adopted as a band tartan in 2021. In any case as a pipe band tartan it's making its debut in 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Edgewater was designed in 2014 by Lothian Kilt Rentails as a Fashion/House tartan.
    I did see that online. The band's site says that it was designed by Iain Donaldson, who might well be connected with Lothian Kilt Rentals. In any case it's a new tartan in the Grade One circle at the Worlds 2022.

About the Scottish Power tartan, the band states that it was designed by the Scottish College of Textiles (Galashiels) but I read elsewhere that it was designed by Kinloch Anderson. For all I know these entities are connected somehow.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 1st August 22 at 03:19 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are four fairly recent bespoke Grade One band tartans which will be seen again at the Worlds 2022.

Clockwise from upper left

78th Fraser Highlanders Pipe Band (Canada) (78th Fraser Highlanders Pipe Band tartan, adopted around 2018)

Simon Fraser University Pipe Band (Canada) (Fraser tartan in a bespoke colour scheme, adopted in 2010)

Here's a discussion of these two bespoke Fraser tartan variants http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-tartan-94401/

Field Marshal Montgomery Pipe Band (Northern Ireland) (Drumalig tartan, said to have been designed by the firm R G Hardie)

Police Scotland Fife (Carnegie of Fife tartan, said to have been designed by the band in 2013)

Last edited by OC Richard; 1st August 22 at 03:49 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Only the Scottish Police Federation tartan, if what the band's website implies is correct, that it was adopted in 2021.
    Ah, yes, I overlooked that one. Designed by Brian Wilton is 2021.

I did see that online. The band's site says that it was designed by Iain Donaldson, who might well be connected with Lothian Kilt Rentals. In any case it's a new tartan in the Grade One circle at the Worlds 2022.
    A Lothian Rentails design according to their website but it doesn't say by whom.

About the Scottish Power tartan, the band states that it was designed by the Scottish College of Textiles (Galashiels) but I read elsewhere that it was designed by Kinloch Anderson. For all I know these entities are connected somehow.
    The STA records show it having been designed by Lochcarron which I believe was the case.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the ScottishPower tartan, here's the page on the band website where they say that the tartan was "created by designers at the Scottish College of Textiles Galashiels"

https://www.scottishpowerpipeband.co...d_history.aspx

If this is true, perhaps it was woven by Lochcarron.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 4th August 22 at 05:30 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: