X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting socks vs kilt hose

Is there a difference and would shooting socks be ok with a kilt? I have to admit that I like the look of garter ties over flashes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shooting socks are generally longer. Many member regularly wear tied garters with their hose.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shooting socks intended for wear over Wellies can be much longer than kilt hose.

I have a pair, to wear them with kilts I have to do a complicated multiple-fold thing.

Thing is, the traditionally made kilt hose/shooting socks are two separate pieced sewn together, the seam is hidden under the turnover cuff.

One of these days I'll take my shooting socks apart, chop the bottom sections, and sew them back together.

As an aside, goofy things can happen due to the same firms sometimes making both kilt hose and shooting socks: a pair of Cheviot kilt hose I purchased had one of each! Exactly the same sock, but one was around 5 inches longer.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th October 22 at 06:51 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    The shooting socks intended for wear over Wellies can be much longer than kilt hose. .....................

Really? That is the first I have ever heard of that. I have been around shooting hose on an almost daily basis for much of the year for far too many decades to worry about and not only have I have never heard of them worn as you suggest, also, I have never seen or perhaps, never noticed them worn as you describe either.

I wear kilt hose with the kilt and happily wear them shooting, likewise I happily wear shooting hose when shooting and when wearing the kilt. Whilst I get the feeling that some shooting hose might be a tad longer than kilt hose, it’s never occurred to me that they are noticeably longer. Perhaps long legs adapt to the extra length?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th October 22 at 05:58 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops sorry dual post, now deleted.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th October 22 at 05:15 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several pairs of kilt socks and a few pairs of shooting socks, too. The shooting socks are a wee bit longer, coming up to just under my kneecap, while the kilt socks top out a couple of finger widths below the kneecap. The contrasting colors on the shooting socks look great with my kilt, and these socks are much warmer than my kilt socks. I have a garter tie that came with a pair of shooting socks and another that came with klit socks. Both look and function fine with either kind of sock. I have a pair of flashes, but generally prefer the garter ties.

If you like the look, there is no reason to hold back from wearing them.

I will admit that I would not wear a mismatched pair like the ones OC Richard described, but I haven't encountered such a pair to date.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shooting socks intended for wear over Wellies ….
    Can they also be worn with banana shoes, whilst herding sheep? 😉
    ( couldn’t resist a Sir Billy reference)
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rather thought that a picture would appear!

Oh good gracious me! Those boots, hose and the person wearing them have never seen a days shooting!

Had I been able to post pictures yesterday, I was trying to post a few pictures of hose in action where they would illustrate the contrary. I will endeavour to attempt to get the system to work later today.

Speaking from some experience, wearing the hose as you illustrate, will only catch the wet, thorns and mud and will quickly cause real discomfort around the top of the calf.

If I saw someone wearing their hose and trousers as you illustrate and honestly I have never seen it, I would instantly assume that there is a “ towny” amongst our midst and they know nothing about the countryside and its mud and wet!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th October 22 at 11:37 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast