X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    The other thing to be aware of are the various distinctions in the Scottish Highland regimental uniforms between:

Other Ranks
    Sergeants
    Senior Sergeants and Warrant Officers
    Officers
    do you happen to know why there is such a difference between? why didn't they tailor everyone the same?
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    do you happen to know why there is such a difference between? why didn't they tailor everyone the same?

RHIP and the fact that, historically, officers paid for their own uniform and always went for something of better quality.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UK Military tailoring can be a bit varied!
    When I joined the Royal Air Force, I was issued with a raincoat made of rather cheap material like everyone else's. But after a year or so I hung it on the mess coat pegs (no coats in the mess hall!) and when I came out from dinner it had been stolen.
    I went to the stores to get a new one and was not yet entitled to a replacement but they said I could pay for one. It was far superior to everyone else's! Nice material, probably from a bygone age as this was not the pile em high and push em through bootcamp the original coat came from.
    Descendant of Malones from Cork and O’Higgins from Wicklow

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very nice thought, unfortunately that is not how the system worked! It still doesn't!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a complex can of worms, because each of the traditional kilted post-1809 Highland regiment was a law unto itself as to where the line of demarcation was drawn, and for which items of dress.

The kilt situation was simpler than some of the other items, and more uniform across the various regiments.

What I think was universal was that Other Ranks wore the heavier woollier fabric and Officers wore lighter-weight worsted fabric. Generally Senior Sergeants (for example the Pipe Major, Bandmaster, Colour-Sergeant, Regimental Sergeant-Major, Regimental Master-Tailor) wore the Officers' fabric.

The traditional horsehair sporran situation varied greatly from regiment to regiment, for example the Camerons having one style of sporran worn by Other Ranks, Sergeants, Senior Sergeants, and even Officers in Service Dress, while in the Black Watch one style was worn by Other Ranks while a second style was worn by Sergeants, Senior Sergeants, and Officers.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To further expand on OC Richard's post above -

Things change within different units, different uniform contracts, and even among different Regimental Sargent's Major (RSM).

An RSM in a British, or British patterned. unit has far more authority than in units based on the US system. I know of cases here the uniform standards changed about every two years. In the days before 1 uniform contract for all the military, it was not uncommon for the standards to vary widely even within the same unit.

I can remember quit recently when kilts made from 13oz, non-UK produced fabric, were considered for all kilts.

Over time even the construction standards changed. This leads to us today not able to define what a kilt made to 'military standards and traditions' would look like.

So to ask where to get an authentic, 'military standard' kilt is just too broad.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 6th August 22 at 11:47 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best place etc

Hi there kilt and military aficionados!

I'm looking at getting a new kilt, after careful consideration i like to the look of "modern" military style kilts.
    Where is the best place to get one made? I'm looking for a maker that can take my clan tartan preferably and build a kilt to military standards and traditions.

Thx!
    Try Stirling Tailors: https://stirlingtailors.co.uk

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Padraicog For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    RHIP and the fact that, historically, officers paid for their own uniform and always went for something of better quality.
    What is RHIP?
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is RHIP?
    Rank has its privileges.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you were a officer could you choose to wear the other ranks uniform?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast