X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixing my pleats

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so please move if needed.

I posted earlier, about my purchase of an 8yd PV kilt in Royal Stewart, at the Glengarry Highland games. I was so excited about the new kilt, I donned it at the festival and wore it proudly.

Once home, I started reading a few of the articles about what went in to making a kilt. Bad idea. This morning I looked at my new kilt with opened eyes, and was horrified. The pleats seemed to be all jumbled, so figured I would give them a press. That’s when I realized there was no clean pattern across the back. It appears that the pleats were just folded and sewn without regard to the pattern of the plaid. An even closer inspection showed that the creases in the pleats were not parallel and the pleats were not a uniform size.
    589A7A1F-E37D-4DA0-A504-0689F72B13D6.jpg
    FF21F770-DB7F-44A3-AE1B-18B1CD27C642.jpg
    So now for my DIY project. I plan to give the kilt a wash in cold water, and allow to air dry. Then my hopes are to carefully reform the pleats properly, by pinning them in place properly, then basting each one so I can remove the pins. Then I will carefully press new creases into the pleats allowing my kilt hang properly. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the pattern, but the kilt was only $99cad.
    Please let me know if I’m doing something really dumb or if there might be a better plan.
    I’ll add some progress shots as I move along. First step will be the wash and dry tonight when electricity is cheaper.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Darrin. I think that at that price your kilt is probably acrylic, not PV. I'd advise that you be really careful with your iron temperature when you press the pleats since acrylic melts quite easily.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll be cautious. I got it from The Scottish Irish Store in Ottawa

The label says
    65% Viscose Rayon
    35% Acetate Fiber

image.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be necessary to gently iron the fabric to flatten the creases before you can reform new ones easily.
    As it is not wool, turn on the iron and allow time for it to warm up to a low temperature to start with, try it to see if the temperature is high enough, and if not increase the temperature just a tiny amount and try again.
    It is best to start and be ineffectual than to start off too high and spoil a bit of the fabric.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before getting too carried away with trying to fix too much on this kilt, see how well you can press it. (do use a pressing cloth to protect the fabric from sheen. You might also want to dampen it to see if it helps with creases.) I say this because I do happen to own one of these kilts, and I have found it just about impossible to do anything with. Mine has a wrinkle across the front apron that I have tried to press and steam out and the stubborn thing just won't go away. You may have to put up with what you've got until you can afford to go out and get a tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Know that real PV fabric is made in the UK by Marton Mills, who also makes tartan fabric for wool kilts. If you can, I suggest saving up for a wool kilt made to your measurements, if not then consider a made-to-measure PV kilt. USA Kilts among others sell them. I have four PV kilts and while they are not the same as wool, they are the next best thing.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree it's probably not PV....but if by chance it is, you may wish to consider steaming the pleats rather than ironing them. Hand steamers are available at most big box stores or online.

I use a steamer for my wool and PV kilts. Never had any acrylic kilts so not sure how steam works on them.

You can have any two of price, quality, or service.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."