It's a little too late to say this, but the conventional wisdom is to never take a kilt to a dry cleaners. They simply do not understand the design and construction of a kilt and will likely mess up the pleats.

There used to be a great thread by an old friend of Xmarks, Canuck (aka Robert Pel) on proper way to clean an old kilt, but I'm afraid I couldn't find it this morning.

I would suggest you best bet would be to baste the pleats (an easier task than it sounds) and then put the kilt in a bathtub of lukewarm water with some woolite or other type of soap safe for woolen items. Then take off your shoes and socks and walk on it - don't agitate. Drain and then rinse with clear water - it may take more than one tub of water. The final time, add a few drops of lavender. This will both address the odor but also is a deterrent to moths.

Dry by laying the kilt between some heavy towels and roll up - to remove most of the water...then hang dry. Remove your basting pleats and Bob's your uncle. You may not even have to steam.

Hope this helps.