X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Apron/Pleat Splitting Visual Analysis

Hi there,

I am in the planning stages of making a kilt from the instructions from the Art of Kilt Making book and wanted to make sure I understood the process for selecting the ideal split numbers. Since I'm a data visualization nerd, I inputted all of the data from Appendix B into a table for analysis. I did some basic calculations like what the difference between the waist and hips were, apron vs pleats at the hip and waist, etc. Below is the analysis:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Split Analysis.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	41652

I did, however find, several anomalies that did not make sense to me, so I wanted to get an understanding about how the highlighted values below are outside the norm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Split Analysis - Outliers.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	41653

For example, starting with the first column, it is grouping all of the measurements where the hips minus waist dimensions are the same. The first highlighted is there the difference is 4 inches. All of these in this group (4 of them) all have 4" between the hips and waist. You can see a pattern/trend in the apron/pleat measurements until you get to the last value (39 waist x 43 hips) where the trend breaks. Similar things happen where highlighted.

Note: The "ID" column shows the example # in appendix B. For example, A-27 is example #27 in appendix B on page 122. All of the values are taken from the table with the exception of my calculations which are just calculations between the given numbers.

I started this all by trying to calculate my own splits (waist: 37, hips: 39), and not seeing the actual calculation to determine the ideal splits. I understand I could have just asked this outright, but I like to know how it is actually derived so I can create a formula to calculate other splits.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide and thanks so much for keeping this amazing art form alive.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pesmonde,

The uploads are really fuzzy and a stretch to read, but I will try to have a look at what you've written plus your tables and give you some feedback over the weekend.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Barb! I'm not sure why they came through as fuzzy--I will try emailing them which should maintain the resolution. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Barb,

I am farther along in the kilt construction, but would still love to learn a little more about the mathematical relationship of these splits, shapes, etc. to see if there's a way to generalize this mathematically. With the exception of the outliers, there was a trend there that could be made into a formula that I developed in Tableau. I think a quick zoom call would be easier if you're available. Thank you for your time and expertise.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do - I'm totally swamped at work for the next couple weeks, but, if you're rolling ahead, let's talk after that!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com