X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man killed by 22-pound hammer thrown during Highland Games

I remember attending Celtic event where people were trying out the various Highland sports and the man coaching the hammer throwing being as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof- the things are in fact extremely dangerous if thrown in the wrong direction. I'm afraid I unhelpfully told him about my kid brother nearly being killed by a shotput and observed that he closed down the hammer throw demo soon after.

Man killed by 22-pound hammer thrown during Highland Games

Author of the articleenette Wilford

Publishing date:Aug 09, 2022 •

Joaquin Gomez of Argentina competes in the Men's hammer throw finals at Athletics National Training Center during the IAAF World Challenge Brazil 2019 at Athletics National Training Center on April 28, 2019 in Braganca Paulista, Brazil. (Photo by Alexandre Schneider/Getty Images) PHOTO BY ALEXANDRE SCHNEIDER /.

Article content

A 65-year-old man was killed by a 22-pound hammer thrown by competitor at the nearby Open Highland Games in the Netherlands.

The victim was touring Geldrop Castle, where the Games were being held, when the projectile flew “over a hedge” and struck him, killing him instantly.

“The pendulum dropped, we saw the ball go over the hedge and then we heard a woman screaming very loudly,” one witness recounted to local news outlet Omroep Brabant, according to the U.K. Sun.

“It wasn’t a spectator… so he didn’t see the ball coming at all.”

Emergency crews rushed to the scene while event organizers attempted CPR, but the unidentified victim could not be saved.

The sporting event was immediately cancelled.

The athlete who threw the hammer is one of the sport’s top competitors and was reportedly “completely upset” about the freak accident.

“I haven’t spoken to him myself, but he’s completely beside himself, this should never have happened to him,” said Adri Geerts, chairman of Foundation Village Marketing Geldrop-Mierlo, which organized the event.

“We are flabbergasted that something like this can happen. We’re devastated.”

Deputy Mayor Hans van de Laar said in a statement: “We are all very affected by this terrible accident. Our condolences go out to the bereaved families.”

The hammer throw is a tradition in ancient Scottish games where competitors swing a metal ball around their head before launching it as far as they can.

An investigation continues into how the incident could have occurred at such a major event.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/other-s...box=1660077696

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Errant hammer throw

I witnessed a similar incident at the Stone Mountain Highland Games several years ago. The participant let go of the hammer early and it sailed over the 4 foot tall chain link fence and landed in a pedestrian area but fortunately hit only the ground. The event was relocated to another field away from the main games area and has been ever since. The incident in the Netherlands is truly horrific for all concerned.

David
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awful!!!
    I hope the victims family is doing as well as they can with all that. That would be brutal on them.

So does that mean he won the Hammer Throw?
    He used a hammer in competition, thrown hammer does exactly what they were made to do...