X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

42nd Highlander Revolutionary War period question

New to the forum here! I am trying to source a period correct bonnet for the 42nd highlanders during the Rev war period for reenacting. I believe they had red and white with a green square alternating around the check..any info or sources would be appreciated, a source to purchase, even better!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only portrait of the period that I know of, Colin Campbell, Ensign 42nd Royal Highlanders, 1771, is unclear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1771 - Colin Campbell, Ensign 42nd Royal Highlanders, 19 March 1771.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	41663

This FB Group has a lot on useful information. I'd ask the question there.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colonel David Stewart of Garth's 'Sketches' of 1822 is always a prime reference, as he details the regiments as they formed, how the uniforms differed, and what action they saw during the period you mention.

James Browne's 1838 'History of the Highlands' would be another detailed source for the same reasons, if you need to know which battalions and companies were where, and the actions they took part in.

Osprey Publishing Ltd produces an extensive and well-illustrated Men-at-Arms Series of military reference books, which are a great resource for re-enactors as they detail all elements of period uniforms and weapons with colured illustrations.

There are several which would give the information you need - '18th Century Highlanders' which includes American Highland regiments; 'Highlanders in the French-Indian War' which shows how regimentals were adapted for active service in the colonies; 'Wolfe's Army' and 'British Army in North America' would be good for starters.

Bonnets are detailed, and includes information such as the exchanging of the red toorie during the American War for white or green to distinguish the grenadier companies or light infantry respectively. Also, useful notes that the hair cockade of black bear fur was 'not to be more than five inches in length.'

The dicing you mention is discussed in the Osprey series, as it varied over time, and was even diagonal in some cases. Garth records that the bonnets would also be stuffed and padded to give better protection against sword cuts.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    The only portrait of the period that I know of, Colin Campbell, Ensign 42nd Royal Highlanders, 1771, is unclear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1771 - Colin Campbell, Ensign 42nd Royal Highlanders, 19 March 1771.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	41663

This FB Group has a lot on useful information. I'd ask the question there.
    Thanks, these have been my findings as well. I have seen it portrayed and interpreted a few different ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Colonel David Stewart of Garth's 'Sketches' of 1822 is always a prime reference, as he details the regiments as they formed, how the uniforms differed, and what action they saw during the period you mention.

James Browne's 1838 'History of the Highlands' would be another detailed source for the same reasons, if you need to know which battalions and companies were where, and the actions they took part in.

Osprey Publishing Ltd produces an extensive and well-illustrated Men-at-Arms Series of military reference books, which are a great resource for re-enactors as they detail all elements of period uniforms and weapons with colured illustrations.

There are several which would give the information you need - '18th Century Highlanders' which includes American Highland regiments; 'Highlanders in the French-Indian War' which shows how regimentals were adapted for active service in the colonies; 'Wolfe's Army' and 'British Army in North America' would be good for starters.

Bonnets are detailed, and includes information such as the exchanging of the red toorie during the American War for white or green to distinguish the grenadier companies or light infantry respectively. Also, useful notes that the hair cockade of black bear fur was 'not to be more than five inches in length.'

The dicing you mention is discussed in the Osprey series, as it varied over time, and was even diagonal in some cases. Garth records that the bonnets would also be stuffed and padded to give better protection against sword cuts.
    Thanks for the info, I have looked over a couple of your references, but a couple are new to me, I look forward to having a look!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance, there are several reenactment groups of the 42nd around. Here is a link to one, they may be able to help you. https://www.42ndrhr.org/index.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    Lance, there are several reenactment groups of the 42nd around. Here is a link to one, they may be able to help you. https://www.42ndrhr.org/index.php
    Thanks, I'll have a look and see if I can muster some help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found a maker that the 42nd Royal Highlander Reenacting Regiment uses, thanks for all the help!! Burns Battle Bonnets on FB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried getting the regimental museum in Perth to give information..?

They are usually pretty forthcoming and helpful.

Incidentally, military historians note that dicing on the bonnet-bands was sometimes diagonal, diamond-wise, and, although not really connected, there is an excellent example of one like this at Craigievar castle. That one has an unusually large crown (by today's standards) with a red edge-band and red diagonal dicing above it. This was once the Forbes laird's own bonnet, and is seen being worn in a portrait.

There has long been debate over the use of dicing, and the colours. Some historians say the 42nd had red, white and green as being Stewart armorial colours (which is highly suspect, as the regiment was raised by the Hanovarians and manned by loyal Highlanders) while others maintain the dicing is a manufactured standard to replicate the threaded ribbon that was once woven through slots cut in the bonnet and tied at the back. By cutting the slots diagonally, a form of diamond dicing could be achieved.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Have you tried getting the regimental museum in Perth to give information..?

They are usually pretty forthcoming and helpful.

Incidentally, military historians note that dicing on the bonnet-bands was sometimes diagonal, diamond-wise, and, although not really connected, there is an excellent example of one like this at Craigievar castle. That one has an unusually large crown (by today's standards) with a red edge-band and red diagonal dicing above it. This was once the Forbes laird's own bonnet, and is seen being worn in a portrait.

There has long been debate over the use of dicing, and the colours. Some historians say the 42nd had red, white and green as being Stewart armorial colours (which is highly suspect, as the regiment was raised by the Hanovarians and manned by loyal Highlanders) while others maintain the dicing is a manufactured standard to replicate the threaded ribbon that was once woven through slots cut in the bonnet and tied at the back. By cutting the slots diagonally, a form of diamond dicing could be achieved.
    I appreciate the info, history is just fascinating, I too have seen the diagonal and dicing, you see so much, that's why I figured I may as well ask! I am having one made by the people that make them for the 42nd Royal Highlanders reenacting groups here in the US, I think that is going to be as close as I get to to what I am after for my reenacting purposes, but I will continue to look, explore, etc. as I try to be a student as much as possible, especially when I know the public at events will ask...I want to give a thoughtful and educated answer as well as an impersonation that is as historically accurate as possible. The bonnet is very interesting...kilt, kilt hose, footwear, is pretty straight forward. Personal items such as dirk's vary, the bonnet, hard to get a hard and fast answer, but that's what makes exploring fun! Many thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast