X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Northern Colorado!
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to COScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceMS View Post
    My name is Lance and I live in Mt. Gilead Ohio.
    Welcome neighbour! Well I live in California now but as a youth moved back and forth between my native West Virginia and California multiple times.

I get back there fairly often and just before the Covid shutdown I attended the Ohio Scottish Games in Wellington.

I've also attended the Dublin (Ohio) Irish Festival which is amazing.

I enjoy 18th century reenacting and came across this forum as I was researching my new persona as a 42nd Highlander during the revolutionary war.
    We have members with a huge amount of knowledge about that subject.

I'm not one of them! I have general knowlege of the histories and uniforms of the Scottish Highland regiments but much of my information is older. New research sheds more light on a regular basis.

About the tartans of that period we are very lucky to have Peter MacDonald who has done and continues to do a great amount of original research into early tartans.

He has published a reprint, with notes, of the 1819 Wilsons of Bannockburn Key Pattern Book which gives the specific thread-counts of a large number of military tartans going back into the 18th century.

The Black Watch during the American Revolution evidently wore canvas breeches rather than kilts on campaign, but for things like that I'm not an expert.

DNA over the years has turned in to a lot of things Scottish, about 32%
    As you might be aware Ancestry.com revises their Pie Charts on a fairly regular basis and a couple years ago most people's "Scottish" percentage went much higher while other percentages, especially "Irish", went much lower.

Over the years my "Irish" has steadily declined from 35% to 7% while my "Scottish" has steadily increased, now standing at over 50%. Who can say, but a couple years from now these numbers could reverse again.

I have found my first direct Scottish ancestor in the US fought with the British
    And ironically I have two direct ancestors, one Scottish-born and one English-born, who fought together in the Virginia Militia prior to the war, and in Washington's army during the war.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Welcome neighbour! Well I live in California now but as a youth moved back and forth between my native West Virginia and California multiple times.

I get back there fairly often and just before the Covid shutdown I attended the Ohio Scottish Games in Wellington.

I'm not one of them! I have general knowlege of the histories and uniforms of the Scottish Highland regiments but much of my information is older. New research sheds more light on a regular basis.

About the tartans of that period we are very lucky to have Peter MacDonald who has done and continues to do a great amount of original research into early tartans.

He has published a reprint, with notes, of the 1819 Wilsons of Bannockburn Key Pattern Book which gives the specific thread-counts of a large number of military tartans going back into the 18th century.

The Black Watch during the American Revolution evidently wore canvas breeches rather than kilts on campaign, but for things like that I'm not an expert.

As you might be aware Ancestry.com revises their Pie Charts on a fairly regular basis and a couple years ago most people's "Scottish" percentage went much higher while other percentages, especially "Irish", went much lower.

Over the years my "Irish" has steadily declined from 35% to 7% while my "Scottish" has steadily increased, now standing at over 50%. Who can say, but a couple years from now these numbers could reverse again.

And ironically I have two direct ancestors, one Scottish-born and one English-born, who fought together in the Virginia Militia prior to the war, and in Washington's army during the war.
    Very cool, I have several (about 14) direct ancestors that fought for the cause, and only the one who fought with the British. My first and current persona I reenact is that of my 6th GGF, David Morgan, he fought in the F&I and the Monongalia Militia in the Rev War and is my SAR patriot ancestor, great fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in Keyser WV, family has been there since the beginning as Col. Morgan Morgan is my 7th GGF. My mom is from Morgantown named after my 6th Great Uncle and my dad is from Charleston, both sides have been there a very long time, the Stalnakers settled Beverly in 1772, and I have extensive family that have been here since the early 1700's and late 1600, mostly of Scottish, English, and German decent. My mom is 1/2 Italian, from the immigrants that came to work the coal mines on her mom's side, English, Scottish on the other!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's funny about my DNA is though it came from various places everybody came to the same spot!

(Well they didn't come from all that many various places; around 90% is Britain and Ireland.)

This isn't the most recent one, the "Scottish" is higher now.

One of those who came.

Last edited by OC Richard; 19th August 22 at 04:49 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My latest DNA

What's funny about my DNA is though it came from various places everybody came to the same spot!

(Well they didn't come from all that many various places; around 90% is Britain and Ireland.)

This isn't the most recent one, the "Scottish" is higher now.

One of those who came.

I agree that the DNA is always changing, and agree that most come from that "area" I do know from my research I have Scottish, English, Welsh, most likely Irish, Italian, not just from the DNA, but for example, my Samples line (De Sempill or Sempill in Scotland) date back to mid 600's and came from the house of Normandy, they all got around, lol, I mean look at us in the US...a mixed bag of everything! Let me know if you are around WV, maybe we can connect! My most recent DNA ia as follows: Scotland 39%, Italy 24%, England and N Europe 19%, Whales 11%, Sweden/Denmark 4%, Greece 2%, France 2%, Finland 1%.

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/origins...d-8a1961b91c5e
    Last edited by LanceMS; 20th August 22 at 09:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12