X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be early August, so a few hours of daylight left after. Ceremony will be in a garden room to eliminate any weather concerns, and move to one of the halls for the reception.

We are leaning more to encouraging those who hire a kilt to go with whichever they fancy, jackets included. I will be getting a Graham of Menteith in muted or ancient. Unsure on the rest just now.

Appreciate the input so far.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    That raises a question for me: is the Day/Evening attire choice set by the clock, or by the sun?

As we know in some times of year it can still by daytime at 10pm.

That sounds lovely to me, but I don't know the Scottish customs as per my first question above.

Ha!

As a piper I've played for hundreds of weddings here in the USA, and as you know in general here people often wear traditional Evening attire (black tuxedos) for weddings at any time of day.

Likewise for kilted weddings people here in the USA usually wear black Prince Charlies and black bow ties regardless.

The interesting thing is when I've piped at weddings here for which one side of the family has flown over from Scotland for the event, and these men are invariably in black Prince Charlies.

I attribute all of this to the Kilt Hire Industry. Vintage photos show men wearing ordinary Day Dress at daytime weddings, which as I understand has always been the custom in the Highlands.

But I would think that your first step concerning gent's dress would be to find out how the locals would treat an event at 6:30 at the particular time of year your wedding will occur, and also the location whether indoors or outside on the castle's grounds.

I would suppose a summer garden wedding in broad daylight would call for Day Dress, but I don't know the local custom.
    Absolutely standard kilt attire for a day wedding.

DSCN0040.jpg

Formal Attire(Morning Dress) for a day wedding. Click pictures to enlarge.

327.jpg

A military wedding. Decorations worn by those in uniform.

March 2015 020.jpg

Not those in civilian attire.

P1020719.jpg

Ah! The harp is in the way! Try this picture.

March 2015 017.jpg
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th August 22 at 07:12 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additional information.

Most weddings take place in the UK before 1600hrs. I am not sure what happens at Hindu, or Sikh etc., weddings but as far as I am aware the Official Marriage Certificate of those those getting married in the UK, must be signed and registered before 1800 hrs. I am not sure how other Religions in the UK deal with this situation and I have no idea what happens elsewhere in the world. Anyway in the UK, the festivities can and do often continue on from then, often well into the night. Most guests continue into the evening attired in what was worn at the wedding service, although those that come on later may well chose evening attire if thought appropriate.

Here's a picture(not mine) that causes those from outwith the UK confusion and difficulties. All becomes clear though with an explanation.

112083-wedding-guest-arrivals.jpg click to enlarge.

A picture taken at the marriage of Prince William and Katherine Middleton only a few years ago. So what is that chap doing wandering around in kilt day attire amongst all those uniforms and Formal civilian day attire? Surely thats not right? Well actually, the chap is perfectly and correctly attired in his kilt day attire.

The invitation stated, "Uniforms, morning attire, or, lounge suits." So the kilted gentleman guest is correctly and properly wearing the kilt equivalent of a lounge/business suit.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th August 22 at 04:39 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Most (all) weddings take place in the UK before 1600hrs.
    Fortunately this daytime requirement was removed in late 2012.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut037 View Post
    Fortunately this daytime requirement was removed in late 2012.
    Where? Within the the UK, or, outwith the UK?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th August 22 at 08:10 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Where? Within the the UK, or, outwith the UK?
    My late wife and I were married in Canada in 1975 @ 7:00 in the evening....
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any thoughts on sporran selection? Excluding the day sporrans, unsure which would be more suited.

20220828_142344.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with the first one, the pale grey seal skin - but I might have some bias...

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a period where Argyll jackets (or even Prince Charlie) were highly favoured for weddings in Scotland, but this has now very much changed, with tweed jackets being the strong preference in most cases – your existing jacket would therefore be very much in line with the norm if you wish to wear it.

That’s not to say that more formal black tie or similar options are unheard of, especially in evening events. But that is certainly less common.

In terms of sporrans, while a day sporran or semi-dress sporran may normally be most suitable for wearing with a tweed jacket, for weddings usually the formality of the sporran is a notch higher, so a formal sporran would be entirely common and appropriate, even for a day event.

Brogues or ghillie brogues are entirely up to you – either is acceptable.

In terms of medals, I would agree with others on this thread – they would not generally be appropriate at a civilian wedding where uniforms are not being worn.

For your guests, it is (in my experience) increasing common to give a bit of guidance around kilt wearing to help male attendee tune their dress accordingly. So for example you might say “kilts encouraged” and indicate that the groom and party will be wearing tweed jackets. Or point towards some example outfits at hire shops for guests’ convenience. It might be that many already have kilts, but a bit of guidance is often useful and can avoid embarassment.

Hope that helps, but as a fairly regular Scottish wedding attendee, very happy to answer any questions!

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Regimental For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.ccsna.org/chief-of-clan-campbell

A little over half way down this page is a picture of the present Duke of Argyll at his wedding. Tweed jacket and fairly plain sporran. Here is another reliable source of kilted wedding guidance.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast