X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add a squish.

Another way, to add a little colour, could be (light wine)red flashes?

Else the best of wishes, with this new way of living! And a sincere congrats, to the Bride, and You!
    May the sun shine on you both...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided a plum color flash would work well, along with a square and tie. Weather was great and couldn't be happier. Early picture of my best man and I.

Screenshot_20230816_061511_Instagram.jpg
    Last edited by Wingnut037; 16th August 23 at 05:28 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Wingnut037 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut037 View Post
    Decided a plum color flash would work well, along with a square and tie. Weather was great and couldn't be happier. Early picture of my best man and I.

Screenshot_20230816_061511_Instagram.jpg
    Excellent choices all round.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I think this must be one of those ancient traditions (like kirkin' o' the tartan) that the likes of you and me, Jock, are too old and dyed-in-the-wool to understand..!

Next, they'll be telling us to stand aside, as we're not giving the 'old ways' a chance.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
    Not "old ways" at all, but a gift from a Scot to his home. New York Avenue Presbyterian Church, in Washington, D.C. was the charge of a well-loved minister named Peter Marshall (movie: "A Man Called Peter"), who also was chaplain of the U.S. Senate. He grew up in Coatbridge, Scotland, IIRC. He came to the U.S. in his search for education, and began ministry near Atlanta, Georgia. As pastor of a larger church in Atlanta, he met and married a student from Agnes Scott College, also near Atlanta at the time, now virtually subsumed into Atlanta. At the start of World War Two, he was in Washington. Being very aware of the situation in England and Scotland, his concerns for his home began to color his sermons, and one that included tartan grew into an ongoing wearing of tartan and kilts to church to encourage support of war bonds purchases. This was a program of the American people to raise funds for arms to send to England, Scotland, and all Europe. There are people on the forum old enough to remember American troops and Hershey bars in the UK. Kirkin' o' the Tartan was founded as a gift to his home, and continues as a way of remembering the roots of our traditions here in this country.

As for the "old ways", go to standing stone sites around the UK. As you make the approach through pastures and farm fields, check the grass along the path. You can find bent
    grass crosses hidden among taller grass and weeds. I've seen them. Very old tradition.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 19th August 23 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do indeed remember the US forces that resided here during WW2. At the start whilst they were exceedingly welcome, but it was the shear numbers with a very different outlook on life( that difference still can be seen clearly today on this website) that arrived, took some assimilating and it took a lot of effort from all sides to make things work and it did in the end work very well.
    I think seeing some, too many, of the American 8th airforce limping home in broad daylight, with their planes shot up and gaps in their formations that finally brought home to the locals that they must accept that these “foreign” forces” for what they were. We ALL bled , cried , suffered and died in the same way......They did things their way and we did things our way and accepted that there was more that bound us together than divided us.
    The details? Well, I see little or no difference today between the two Nations in outlook than there was then.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th August 23 at 01:59 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the bombers, but they weren’t friendly. We went to visit my aunt in Bedford. It was summertime and there was a full moon. Air raid sirens went off about 10 pm. When they came over and started to drop flares it was just like daylight. We spent the night below the river bank. Watching the town being blown to bits. The all clear went around 6 am. I was just little at the time but that burned into my mind.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345