X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadenochWolf View Post
    I recently committed matrimony, kilted, Stateside. I chose to wear a tweed Argyll rather than the more formal black. The one sartorial concession to my beloved was the Fly Plaid (apologies to the purists here, the lass loves the look).

Attachment 41699
    With a wedding, it is the brides wishes that need to be paramount, thus a fly acceptable; however, a drummers plaid is an alternative choice look. A bitt more expensive, but maybe more acceptable...

https://www.jhiggins.net/drummers-plaid-custom/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully we both agree on skipping the fly plaid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wedding is getting close. 17 days to go. Everything is in from the kiltmaker, but I won't get to see it in person until we fly back to Scotland next week. Last few touches to decide on is the shirt and sporran.

Was told the colors are hard to capture, but looking good so far.

IMG-20230705-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230705-WA0003.jpg

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wingnut037 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yes, the outfit is alright, but it is tad bland. As you have a wee bit of time you could do a bit better. The outfit does look a tad grey/dull green! How about getting a tad more colour in the hose? A rather more green or, blue?Red/claret even? A non tartan tie might be a better choice. Oh, you will not be wrong in wearing white shirt with a non button down collar. As you are not going to be formal, a plain brown or black leather sporran will do nicely(please, please, please, avoid the dreaded "semi-formal" route!) and will be then used as the most versatile sporran you will ever own , for the future.

Good luck on the day.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd July 23 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added afterthoughts.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tie and the hand fasting were made with off cuts, so just got them at the same time. Hose were also included so working on other options aside from what I wear with my Isle of Skye kit. Open to suggestions.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut037 View Post
    Tie and the hand fasting were made with off cuts, so just got them at the same time. Hose were also included so working on other options aside from what I wear with my Isle of Skye kit. Open to suggestions.
    Do you know, I have been to a lot of weddings in Scotland in rather a long life and have never seen this “hand fasting” thing done. Just what is all that about?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd July 23 at 01:29 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Jock. The outfit looks OK, but needs a pop of color. Perhaps red or wine-colored flashes and a pocket square? Red carnation or similar flower for a boutonniere?
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Do you know, I have been to a lot of weddings in Scotland in rather a long life and have never seen this “hand fasting” thing done. Just what is all that about?
    I found this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handfasting

And this: https://owlcation.com/social-science...Modern-Society

Handbinding and Oath-Taking
    "The other most notable characteristic of modern handfastings is the hand binding with rope or ribbon. When researching medieval handfastings, not a single reference was made to the tying of the hands together. This appears to be a strictly modern invention. Likely this was an addition made . . . . in the post-Victorian era, simply based on the notion that handfasting involves bringing two hands together. But rather than binding them with rope, the custom of handshaking of a sorts was inferred."
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 23rd July 23 at 05:34 PM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think this must be one of those ancient traditions (like kirkin' o' the tartan) that the likes of you and me, Jock, are too old and dyed-in-the-wool to understand..!

Next, they'll be telling us to stand aside, as we're not giving the 'old ways' a chance.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut037 View Post
    You've done the thing with the hose colour which was widely done in Victorian times, and which when our modern "traditional Highland Dress" became more sorted in the 1920s became "the way it's done" and that is have the hose colour "tone in" with the tweed jacket.

I have articles and books and catalogues from throughout the first half of the 20th century which universally recommend that the hose should "tone in with the jacket". And the colour images of men in Highland dress generally show that this was indeed common practice.

I know it's not as popular nowadays as it once was. And from the art design standpoint a Highland outfit has three major fairly equal blocks of colour

Jacket
    Kilt
    Hose

and to make any two of these the same throws away the outfit's full colour potential.

So yes nowadays the hose are often used to add a splash of colour to an outfit that exhibits a bit too much sameness between the jacket and kilt.

Personally I appreciate both approaches, the "toning in" and the contrasting/coordinating.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast