X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought a Used Kilt - Buckle & Strap Adjustment - How Much Inner Apron Can Show?

Kilt Experts,

<Please see the below pictures. Note that some are reversed due to being mirror images.>

I recently purchased this kilt second-hand and it’s a good fit. The pleats hang straight down (not shower-curtained or tented) when worn with the top edge covering the belly button and with the hem just touching the top of my kneecaps (of course).

However, I can only comfortably wear this kilt using the very last holes in both straps (note that in the pics I didn't tuck the end of the straps into the buckles). I’m thinking about having the buckle/strap positions altered. Not only does it look odd when worn at the last holes, but I’m hoping to get maybe another inch of waist size if possible.

What’s odd about this kilt is that the initial buckle positions appear to be skewed to the left when looking at the kilt from the rear. I reason that this is because the kilt was designed with lots of room to grow. The LH/inner strap appears to have been positioned with plenty of space for adjustment; several inches in fact. The right hand side however, seems to have less leeway. My meaning is that (when using the last RH strap hole) the apron only hides at most another 1/2” to 1” inch of pleats.

Finally, my questions: Is it ever acceptable to have some portion of the unpleated under/inner apron showing at maximum strap wearing position? When designing a kilt, how much overlap should there ideally be when using the last RH strap hole? If indeed I'm already out of adjustment room on the RH side (your thoughts please), should I even bother moving the RH buckle and inner strap just to avoid the "last hole" strap look?

Thank You All!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I understand.

The bottom photo shows the upper apron overlapping some of the pleats?

I could be wrong, but what looks right to me is when all of the pleats, and the reverse pleat, are visible.

The fringe of the upper apron, I think, ought to come close to, but not overlap, the reverse pleat.

About moving the two righthand buckles, and the single lefthand strap, it's a quick operation, and one I've done hundreds of times, due to being the "buckle mover guy" in the Pipe Bands I've played in.

And yes I want all three straps to be at around their midpoint, giving me a bit of leeway in either direction.

To answer the original question, a bit of the under-apron showing past the reverse pleat looks OK, and you'll see Pipe Band members showing a few inches of under-apron at times.

BTW your kilt looks like a military (Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders) kilt which has been fitted with civilian buckles and has had some of the box pleats incorrectly pressed. Or, it's something of a hybrid kilt.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 29th August 22 at 07:03 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I adjusted a kilt that was a bit small and ended up with about 5cm of the unpleated under-apron showing. Most won't have a clue and even then will only notice if they're looking for it.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Queenslander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    BTW your kilt looks like a military (Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders) kilt which has been fitted with civilian buckles and has had some of the box pleats incorrectly pressed. Or, it's something of a hybrid kilt.
    It has a Kinloch Anderson label with a named owner, so definitely not military issue. What makes you think some of the box pleats are incorrectly pressed? As for being a hybrid kilt, it seems to be a "traditional" (but modern) design.