X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperalpha View Post
    The old chains are so much nicer than the new style. I’m going to have to purchase a reproduction soon. House of Lahbran seems to have some nice ones. Has anyone purchased one of them?
    Piperalpha:

The Scottish Trading Company also has a couple of long link chain options that are more budget friendly:

https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...oducts_id=4705

https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...oducts_id=4997

I’m thinking of getting the antique version to wear with an antique horsehair sporran I picked up some months ago at the next black tie event I attend.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    Piperalpha:The Scottish Trading Company also has a couple of long link chain options that are more budget friendly:https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...oducts_id=4705https://www.scottishtradingcompany.c...oducts_id=4997I’m thinking of getting the antique version to wear with an antique horsehair sporran I picked up some months ago at the next black tie event I attend.Cheers,SM
    I don't think the quality is the same. The one I had seen didn't have visible welds on the chain from what I remember. I'm far too picky

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the quality is the same. The one I had seen didn't have visible welds on the chain from what I remember. I'm far too picky
    No, I wouldn’t think the quality would be the same, as one is a £795 sterling chain and the other is a $55 chain. Apples to oranges, you might say.

That said, given the price differential and the fact that it’s something I MIGHT have occasion to wear once a year, I’m certain I could learn to live with slightly visible welds or remedy it! 😄

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new chain!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    No, I wouldn’t think the quality would be the same, as one is a £795 sterling chain and the other is a $55 chain. Apples to oranges, you might say.

That said, given the price differential and the fact that something I MIGHT have occasion to wear once a year, I’m certain I could learn to live with slightly visible welds or remedy it! 😄

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new chain!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun,
    Sorry it looks like the commoner version has been removed from their site. It was in the neighbourhood of 60 pounds sterling.
    I could not justify spending almost eight hundred pounds on a sporran chain. There's a lot of things on my wish list. A lovat blue jacket, some vintage sporrans, silver mounted sgian dubh, a few balmorals, diced hose and vintage kilt pins. A silver sporran chain is not on that list. I would be worried it would rub off on my kilt.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love all these fabulous photos of Late Victorian sporrans! Keep them coming.

Andrew

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That slanted sporran is wonderful, no I've not seen that.

It makes total sense from the tailoring point of view, seeing how pockets in trousers are often made slanted.

Sporrans would have to be made right-handed or left-handed, I suppose.

The problem with seeing so many old sporrans only from the front, from photos, paintings, and displayed in museums, is that you don't see those fascinating details on the back.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old chains are so much nicer than the new style. I’m going to have to purchase a reproduction soon. House of Lahbran seems to have some nice ones. Has anyone purchased one of them?
    Margaret Morrison also do a long link chain: https://morrison-sporrans.co.uk/product/chain-5/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Margaret Morrison also do a long link chain: https://morrison-sporrans.co.uk/product/chain-5/
    That one looks pretty good. It appears to be out of stock. I’m going to keep my eyes open for a good used one.
    Last edited by piperalpha; 8th September 22 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    i spoke with Greg over at Margaret Morrison and The House of Lahbran. The both are out of stock. It seems that one of the MOD sporrans had the long link chain. The uniform has changed. They no longer are producing the chains.

Margaret Morrison’s chain maker stopped making that style during covid. They plan to make them one day. It doesn’t sound like it’s going to he soon. I’ll keep my eyes open for a good used one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received STC long-link sporran chain

This afternoon, I received the long-link sporran chain I'd ordered from the Scottish Trading Company. The link appears earlier in this thread.

The chain is better than I'd thought it would be from the photos on their website. The welds are not in the center of the links, as they appeared in the photos.

The strap portion is that dreadful "pressed leather" stuff, but given how seldom I'll have occasion to wear it, I'm sure it will suffice. Worst case scenario, I have my local shoe repair shop or bridle maker replace the leather portion.

I'm including a few photos, though I'm not sure how well they'll show the details:

I think it will do nicely with my antique horsehair sporran!

All in all, I'm pleased with the purchase.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Clan Maxwell Society

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast