X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What shirt with the PC?

I'll - hopefully - be attending a wedding in April, and the groom has said it's ok for me to wear my kilt. This will be the first time I'll be wearing the PC (aside from trying it on when I received it). I currently own a wing collar with pleated front, and a white... Oxford, I guess, with french cuffs. I've seen some people say yes to the pleated wing collar, and others say no. I'd like the opinion of the Rabble on if I should go with the pleated wing collar, or the regular with french cuffs, or just purchase a plain front wing collar.

So what say ye?
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like what’s known as a Marcella shirt. It’s a white french cuff shirt with a turndown collar and a textured front and cuffs. They are very popular in Britain. Failing that. A white french cuff with a turndown collar would be my choice. The problem with wing collars is that they are from an era when collars were heavily starched. Now that they’re not, wing collars can have a floppiness that I don’t like. Just my opinion.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To coin a phrase, 'I would not start from here'. My default for attending a wedding is tweed; after all, it's not a Black-Tie evening event. If you decide on formal, then I would go wit a Marcella shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    To coin a phrase, 'I would not start from here'. My default for attending a wedding is tweed; after all, it's not a Black-Tie evening event. If you decide on formal, then I would go wit a Marcella shirt.
    It is a black-tie evening event... I guess I'll go with a Marcella shirt, I think that looks best
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to dcommini For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I like what’s known as a Marcella shirt. It’s a white french cuff shirt with a turndown collar and a textured front and cuffs. They are very popular in Britain. Failing that. A white french cuff with a turndown collar would be my choice. The problem with wing collars is that they are from an era when collars were heavily starched. Now that they’re not, wing collars can have a floppiness that I don’t like. Just my opinion.
    I would probably heavily starch my collar, but, considering that I'd have to travel, the shirt would see a few days in a suit case, so I'm thinking a Marcella shirt. Thanks!
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG