X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kilted King

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrynuk View Post
    King Charles and the Queen Consort visited Dunfermline on 3rd October 2022 to celebrate the granting of City status, which had been conferred by the late Queen. I have been trying to identify the tartan in his kilt but so far without success. It is very similar to Lochaber but there are distinct differences. I wonder if anyone can help identify it, please.

Attachment 41876
    Old Stewart, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart...-old-1819-clan

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Correct, it's a kilt that HM has had for at least a decade, possibly two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    There seems some controversy about Prince Andrew wearing military uniform because of his unfortunate association with an American paedophile whereas Prince Harry who served in the firces is seemingly not allowed due to his rejection of royalty in favour of his American wife. You couldn’t really make it up could you?
    Ivor, I have to say, you really do seem to be doing quite a good job of making things up. Pretty much everyone in the photo has done some degree of military service. The one exception is the Princess Royal, who pursued her equestrian career rather than joining the military. Prince Andrew, who you seem to take particular aim at, served in the Royal Navy including as a helicopter pilot flying off HMS Invincible during the Falklands Conflict. One of his duties at that time, was to fly picket duties around the ships of the fleet to protect them from Exocet missiles.

The truth is that Harry's marriage has nothing to do with his not wearing a uniform; he is no longer a serving member nor is he an Honourary Colonel (or equivalent) anymore because he has chosen to not he a working royal.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Thanks. Not seen him wear that kilt before but very glad that now he is King he is continuing to wear highland dress when in Scotland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartans of kilts in which HRH King Charles III has appeared

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Correct, it's a kilt that HM has had for at least a decade, possibly two.
    Thank you for this note. Please forgive any unintentional lapses in reference to His Royal Highness King Charles III from this Yank, but I am interested in the number and style of kilts in different tartans that HRH is "permitted" to wear. I have seen several in pictures through the years, and was so taken with pics of His Majesty (as then the Prince of Wales) in a kilt in "Macdonald Lord of the Isles" that I capitalized on the opportunity to obtain one in my size when it came up, if I remember correctly, on this Forum.

Any further enlightenment on the subject would be very much appreciated!

MacConnachie

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacConnachie View Post
    Thank you for this note. Please forgive any unintentional lapses in reference to His Royal Highness King Charles III from this Yank, but I am interested in the number and style of kilts in different tartans that HRH is "permitted" to wear. I have seen several in pictures through the years, and was so taken with pics of His Majesty (as then the Prince of Wales) in a kilt in "Macdonald Lord of the Isles" that I capitalized on the opportunity to obtain one in my size when it came up, if I remember correctly, on this Forum.

Any further enlightenment on the subject would be very much appreciated!

MacConnachie

No apologies needed, some in Britain continue to get it wrong too. For clarity, the correct address to/when referring to the King or/and Queen is His/Her, Your/Their, Majesty/Majesties.

Before his ascent to the throne, His Majesty was always known as the Duke of Rothesay in Scotland, rather than Prince of Wales. The background to the title is in this paper (which needs updating).

HM is ‘permitted’ to wear whatever he wants. What he has worn is:

Balmoral
    Duke of Rothesay
    Duke of Rothesay Hunting (simplified setting)
    Gordon Highlanders
    Government (Black Watch)
    King George VI
    Lord of the Isles
    Stewart, Dress
    Stewart, Hunting
    Stewart, Old
    Stewart, Royal
    Stuart, Prince Charles Edward

His Majesty worn the Duke of Rothesay shortly after he became King but whether he will continue to wear it and Lord of the Isles tartans now that both titles have passed to his heir, Prince William, remains to be seen

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    No apologies needed, some in Britain continue to get it wrong too. For clarity, the correct address to/when referring to the King or/and Queen is His/Her, Your/Their, Majesty/Majesties.

Before his ascent to the throne, His Majesty was always known as the Duke of Rothesay in Scotland, rather than Prince of Wales. The background to the title is in this paper (which needs updating).

HM is ‘permitted’ to wear whatever he wants. What he has worn is:

Balmoral
    Duke of Rothesay
    Duke of Rothesay Hunting (simplified setting)
    Gordon Highlanders
    Government (Black Watch)
    King George VI
    Lord of the Isles
    Stewart, Dress
    Stewart, Hunting
    Stewart, Old
    Stewart, Royal
    Stuart, Prince Charles Edward

His Majesty worn the Duke of Rothesay shortly after he became King but whether he will continue to wear it and Lord of the Isles tartans now that both titles have passed to his heir, Prince William, remains to be seen

I have often thought it a fun idea to rummage through The King's wardrobe so see just what is there, as he must have a considerable stock of items once belonging to his father, grandfather, and probably further back also. He tends to be a bit habitual, and is often seen in the same garments, so I wonder what happens to the things that are periodcally out of favour.

As for the young prince, William seems to be not much of a kiltie, but perhaps he refuses compete with the sometimes tartan-clad glamour of his wife. How gentlemanly and gallant is that..?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    William seems to be not much of a kiltie
    i.e. not a kiltie at all. Diana loathed Scotland and all its symbols so her son continues in that furrow. What Scotland will think of him when he becomes King remains to be seen.

Alan

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HRH Prince William and Scotland

"Diana loathed Scotland and all its symbols so her son continues in that furrow. What Scotland will think of him when he becomes King remains to be seen."

Evidently, he loathed Scotland so much that he spent three years at the University of St. Andrews and represented the Scottish Universities water polo team. Of course, like his mother, he might well have loathed it but ... ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted scholar View Post

Evidently, he loathed Scotland so much that he spent three years at the University of St. Andrews and represented the Scottish Universities water polo team. Of course, like his mother, he might well have loathed it but ... ...
    He was required to go to St. Andrews because it was reckoned that general security and avoidance of paparazzi would be much easier than at Oxford or Cambridge. Obviously at a Scottish University he couldn't play water polo for England!

Alan

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast