X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Kilted King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    They do have quite a lot of variation in their kit. If you search online for images of them, you'll see some plaids that are old and faded right next to others that are new, and the same with their kilts. They mix colour schemes and sett sizes too, even though the tartan is the same. Not all their kilts are pleated the same, either. They are a bit of a motley crew. I find it refreshing.

You can see the plaid in the centre of the previous photo has either a large tear or moth damage.

*edited to add: take a look at the mix of plaid colours/styles in this photo!
    Gotta love those lee-metford rifles.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy the pictures of HM Charles kilted. Here on this side of the world, kiltmakers [you can count their number on one hand] will advise a new member to the world of highland dress "if you want to see the epitome of highland dress, put kilted royals in your search engine and look at how prince [at the time] Charles and his late father Philip are dressed. The standard of how a gentleman should dress for any type of event. What pictures there are of HM great grandfather George V also fits that bill. What fascinates me is HM Charles' vest, everyone else's vest come to a point on the bottom except HM are round. Is that a special cut or is that just for HM only. Even his great granddad had a pointed vest as I believe Prince Philip did.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted redleg View Post
    I enjoy the pictures of HM Charles kilted. Here on this side of the world, kiltmakers [you can count their number on one hand] will advise a new member to the world of highland dress "if you want to see the epitome of highland dress, put kilted royals in your search engine and look at how prince [at the time] Charles and his late father Philip are dressed. The standard of how a gentleman should dress for any type of event. What pictures there are of HM great grandfather George V also fits that bill. What fascinates me is HM Charles' vest, everyone else's vest come to a point on the bottom except HM are round. Is that a special cut or is that just for HM only. Even his great granddad had a pointed vest as I believe Prince Philip did.
    Prince Philip certainly wore a straight cut waistcoat on some occasions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilt_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqcFbVwrldgDqLr44SrdFj-pjiYJg1F3Rk-pkgTvIwLgs.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	42768

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Peter
    Is that what it is called a "straight cut" vest? I wonder why highland dress manufacturer's do not offer that as an option to the standard vest? Is it that hard to make?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    St. Kilda offer this as an option on their made to order jacket and waistcoats - I'm sure other makers would do this on request:

They also do a flat bottom, horseshoe, double-breasted waistcoat:

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456