X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kilted King

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    My father, RN retired, used to have a habit of reminding us youngsters when in his opinion we had done something not quite right. “There is the right way to do things and there is a wrong way of doing things and then, there is the Royal Navy’s way of doing things.” It left us with very little room to manoeuvre on the excuses front!

Interestingly and baring this conversation in mind, I noted that when The Late Queen’s coffin was flown in to Northolt the other evening, the RAF were there to do the honours and two of the female RAF Officers in the Reception Party were wearing skirts and were carrying swords. Perhaps, the RAF have their way of doing things too?
    The RAF company of about 200 that greeted Her Majesty on the runway at Northolt had impeccable, absolutely perfect drill. You would expect them to be good but as far as I could see, they were flawless.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    The RAF company of about 200 that greeted Her Majesty on the runway at Northolt had impeccable, absolutely perfect drill. You would expect them to be good but as far as I could see, they were flawless.
    I too was very impressed.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems some controversy about Prince Andrew wearing military uniform because of his unfortunate association with an American paedophile whereas Prince Harry who served in the firces is seemingly not allowed due to his rejection of royalty in favour of his American wife. You couldn’t really make it up could you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    There seems some controversy about Prince Andrew wearing military uniform because of his unfortunate association with an American paedophile whereas Prince Harry who served in the firces is seemingly not allowed due to his rejection of royalty in favour of his American wife. You couldn’t really make it up could you?
    At the King's request Prince Harry will be in uniform for the the second family vigil.

https://people.com/royals/prince-har...arles-request/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    They were the Queen's Colour Squadron. I was next door to them at Uxbridge in '82. Drill and ceremonial is their job.
    Descendant of Malones from Cork and O’Higgins from Wicklow

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Iain Ruaidh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prince Andrew was allowed to wear uniform for the Vigil of the Princes. Similarly, Prince Harry will wear uniform today when the Queen's eight grandchildren mount the Vigil. Princess Anne worn the ceremonial uniform of the Blues and Royals, a cavalry regiment, part of the Household Cavalry Regiment of which the Princess Royal is The Colonel of the Regiment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Queen-Elizabeths-1st-Vigil-Charles-Anne-Andrew-Edward-Hold-15-Minute-Ceremony-010.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	41803
    Last edited by figheadair; 16th September 22 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is rather more to these stories than you describe. But, I think this is not the place, or time, to discuss it.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it would be easier on the eye to see the Royal family wearing ordinary clothing (morning dress, Highland dress, ordinary suits, or what have you) rather than ornate military uniforms.

I know there's protocol and tradition. I'm speaking merely in visual terms.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    King Charles and the Queen Consort visited Dunfermline on 3rd October 2022 to celebrate the granting of City status, which had been conferred by the late Queen. I have been trying to identify the tartan in his kilt but so far without success. It is very similar to Lochaber but there are distinct differences. I wonder if anyone can help identify it, please.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3864.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	41876

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    For me, it would be easier on the eye to see the Royal family wearing ordinary clothing (morning dress, Highland dress, ordinary suits, or what have you) rather than ornate military uniforms.

I know there's protocol and tradition. I'm speaking merely in visual terms.
    I can’t believe it! An American not liking bling! Well if you like bling then some of us in the UK, actually quite a few by the looks of it, in the right circumstances, can do bling in style!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th October 22 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Found my glasses!

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast