X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

King Charles III tartan

My cynical nature is wondering how long it will take before various "King Charles III" tartans and "Coronation 2022" tartans and "Queen Elizabeth II Memorial" tartans hit the market.

Or have they already made their inevitable appearance?
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently staying very close to the Royal Mile. I will keep a lookout. I wouldn't be shocked.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it inevitable. That said, I would add two caveats. Firstly, I would hope/expect that the SRT would not accept a King Charles III tartan without authority from the palace. Secondly, while there is precedent for the trade to name tartans after previous monarchs, and the Princess Diana Memorial tartan, there has never been a Coronation tartan. I wonder about the commercial viability of such a tartan.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the commercial viability of a "Coronation 2022" tartan, I would think a tartan having that name would give it a leg up on the sometimes cringeworthy names of current fashion tartans, for example several of the tartans in House of Edgar's "Hebridean Range."

https://www.houseofedgar.com/product...idean-tartans/

A local Pipe Band, a startup band born of the Lockdown, went with one of these, buying a bolt. I wonder how much of these tartans HoE has sold.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was made up in the Fraser Green Gathering Tartan, which is similar to a theoretical Coronation tartan in that it was created to celebrate a special event. I chose it because a) it had the name Fraser associated with it, and b) it was green.

I am certainly a small sample size, but I suspect that the name of the tartan itself won't have much to do with the sales - rather, the aesthetic appeal of the tartan will make the biggest difference. I would bet the fact that it celebrates King Charles' coronation will be of secondary concern.