X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Been Awhile…

Hello everyone! Its been a bit since I logged on; apparently 6 years! My how life changes! Still have my kilts and recently donned one for a local renaissance festival for their Highland Weekend. That’s not quite what has brought me back though. I’ve decided that life is too short to keep putting things off so I’ve decided to pursue learning the bagpipes. I’ve wanted to do this since I was a teenager. I met up with a local pipe band and have purchased a practice chanter and intend to start my lessons in the next couple of weeks. So I decided to come back to the forum as I anticipate I’ll be kilted a bit more in the future. I understand it takes years of practice and study to learn the pipes and sound half way decent, but I’ve got to start somewhere!

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to joecool For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome home and good luck with the pipes!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back, JoeCool. Best of luck starting your piping journey. Glad to see you're taking lessons and not trying to start out on your own.

It can indeed be a long process learning to play. Be prepared to drool quite a bit until your lips get used to sealing the blowstick. There will be times you plateau and can't seem to get over whatever issue hangs you up. Just break things down into smaller steps, stick with it and eventually something will 'click' and voila! - problem resolved.

I started lessons on the practice chanter in April 2000. I've been playing the big instrument since spring 2001. Started playing with the Louisville Pipe Band grade 5 line about 2004. Elected (basically no one else volunteered) Pipe Sergeant* in 2011 and stayed in that role through 2014. Since then I've been an ad hoc Member-at-Large for the band's Executive Committee. Currently on hiatus from full-time piping due to some shoulder issues, though I do substitute on the bass drum when needed, and emcee some public performances.

*For those not conversant in "band-speak", the Pipe Sergeant (PS) is essentially the Assistant Musical Director of the band. Primary responsibility is tuning the band once the Pipe Major (PM) determines the pitch of the day (that's a whole other conversation) and helping pipers with instrument issues. The PS takes over the direction of the band (conducting the band at rehearsals, performances, etc.) when the PM is not available.
    John

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back and more importantly welcome to the world of piping. Yes your journey will be a long process however you will find that the piping fraternity always has someone you can go to for help. Also if you can afford it and get the chance to attend a piping school that comes from Scotland or one in the US [there are several] to improve your skill level, bond with fellow musicians and pick the brains of champion pipers. Get the mindset that "this will take work" but if you do it for the love of the music you should fine. "Failte Piobaire" [welcome piper]

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You!

I appreciate the encouraging words and advice! Thank you all! My practice chanter arrived today!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to joecool For This Useful Post: