X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smallpipe chanter

Are there any smallpipe players out there ? I am in need of some help (my wife says that I am past help). I can no longer play my GHP so I am making a SSP. I have the drones made (out of mopani) and I am going to make the chanter (out of katalox) . I need dimensions for the chanter in A . I anyone would be so kind as to share them I would be most grateful.
    Cheers, Stickman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small pipe chanter measurements

Hi Stickman, this might not be what you expected, but it should give you both inside measurements and tone hole measurements. It is intended to make a PVC chanter in A. The measurements should be fine in wood.

I thought I had this somewhere in some file. It took me a while to boot my backup drive (which didn't work on an older computer, and nearly gave me a heart attack), but a different computer fixed it.

Keep us posted! I can't do anything like that right now due to health reasons. Also, if I remember, you used to make sgian dubhs. I'd really like to see what you did. You could PM those if you wanted.

Anyway, here it is. I hope it helps.

Small pipe chanter in A tube.gif

If you are interested, I have the other files for the other parts of a PVC SP.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.

I really do thank you for the chanter info, looks like it will work. Yes, I used to make sgians dubh. However I have no computer skills to be able to send you any pictures. I don't even have a phone to be able to take pictures. I'll ask the young guy across the street if he can help.
    I know what you mean about health problems, hope you are not too bad off. I don't have the energy to play my GHP due to my many health problems, the latest of which was bladder cancer. Oh well I'll be 84 next month and I refuse to give up.
    Thanks again.
    Stickman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like something similar with me. You've got 20 years on me though. I found out I have kidney cancer. The way I found out had a few miracles on the way. However, my prognosis is excellent, surgery and immunotherapy. Therapy starts this week, surgery in 3 weeks. Keep up the fight!
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back on here, haven't been feeling well. I hope you make out OK. I'll be sure to say one for you.
    Stickman.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OC - Got my neighbor to upload these pictures for me:)

Last edited by stickman; 29th October 22 at 11:46 AM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is out standing work. I love the drones, and the sgians are fantastic. I've never tried figures, mostly stuck to basketweave and knotwork. And nowhere near as much as you have done.

Did you polish the stones yourself as well? My grandfather did that, as well as faceting. He polished a quartz stone I picked up on a beach in Lewis, then put it on a kilt pin for me. It is the only kilt pin I ever wear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the compliments. Yes I do cut and polish my stones. It is so nice that you cherish what your grandfather made for you. My wife took five of my sgians and matching dirks had them framed for the grandkids , to give them when I have gone. Hope they treasure them. Gave two of them good sets of pipes and have no idea what they have done with them.
    Keep me informed on your health problems. I'm praying for you.
    Stickman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stickman,

Have you had a chance to work on the small pipe chanter?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello OC. Hope you are doing good.
    I started to make the chanter and got as far as turning the outside and boring the inside. That's when I got an allergy to the wood. My hands are about back to normal now so as soon as it warms up a little I'll be back at it (no heat in my work area). PS, I'll be wearing gloves. I should known better as quite a lot of hardwoods are bad to work with.