X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alterations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alterations?

Hello! I ordered an inexpensive kilt made to measure from a US company. Had a great experience, but neglected to carefully read the sizing instructions, as I'd had a couple higher end kilts made from my actual measurements, which have not changed. This company recommended ordering a couple sizes down. As a result, the kilt I received is a bit too loose in the waist. Since it was a custom made item, obviously I can't return it. I'm in the Seattle area, and a cursory Google search returns no hits for anyone local who does kilt alterations. Wondering if anyone here has any recommendations. It would be a minor fix; seems to me the buckles could simply be moved in a pleat or two on either side and that would do it. Or should I just chalk this up to experience and eat it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am by far no expert, but if it is a "little loose" in the waist you may be able to get away with having a competent tailor or seamstress move the buckle and strap back a tad.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted redleg For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If moving belts and buckles, it's simple enough - I've done it on a few kilts. Just be sure to sew ALL THE WAY THROUGH. Otherwise, it will pull, distort, and rip the tartan.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know, thanks!

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost any competent Tailor should be able to do this simple alteration for you.

You wrap the kilt around yourself without fastening the straps and buckles so the tailor can mark the over lap of the new size.

Then - Un-stitch and remove the buckle, or buckles if there are two, on the right side.
    And on the under-apron the strap for the left side.

You then sew these back on at the new size location.

But please remember that hidden under the liner on the inside of the kilt are the floating interfacing which gives the kilt it's vertical stiffness and a strip of fabric called the stabilizer which is like a belt built inside to provide horizontal strength.

When the buckles and strap are sewn back on the stitches MUST pass through the outer Tartan fabric and be anchored to these internal strengthening elements.

If the stitches do no go all the way through or the stitches are made with cotton or a thread that is prone to failure this could be the result.<br>

In this case you can see that the buckles are still in place but were sewn just to the outer Tartan fabric and not anchored to the internal elements and this caused the pleat stitching to fail.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 23rd October 22 at 11:08 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for such a helpful and thorough response... with pictures to boot! I did have a question concerning one portion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Almost any competent Tailor should be able to do this simple alteration for you.

You wrap the kilt around yourself without fastening the straps and buckles so the tailor can mark the over lap of the new size.

Then - Un-stitch and remove the buckle, or buckles if there are two, on the right side.
    And on the under-apron the strap for the left side.

You then sew these back on at the new size location.
    It seems to me that to maintain visual symmetry on the back of the kilt, one would want to move the buckles only -- on both sides -- and leave the straps where they are. Is there a reason this might not be advisable?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t forget that you have the littlle hole through which the strap passes. Since it can’t move, neither must the buckle nearest it.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right! I did think of that, but assumed since the buckle would be moving away from the hole, it wouldn't be an issue. I mean, I do realize more of the strap would be visible. In any case, I'm super glad I checked in here before going to a tailor with bad instructions Super appreciate your patience with my inexperience!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inexperienced or not, don't take it to a tailor. Do it yourself unless you're a total doofus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just done my first buckle move. It really is not difficult. You quickly get a feel for bringing the needle back through the fabric in the right place.
    I moved the buckles a little bit too far! It works but it's not very pretty. I did remember to see all the way through.
    Descendant of Malones from Cork and O’Higgins from Wicklow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast