X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another beautiful Peter MacDonald tartan

In discussing the trends of Pipe Band dress (moving away from the black & white hegemony to more colours, more muted tones, more earth tones) I came across photos of the well-turned-out Perth & District Pipe Band.

I looked into their lovely tartan and discovered that it was designed by Peter MacDonald, I assume the same Peter MacDonald who is a regular contributor here. Well done!

If I were to make any changes to their uniform I would switch the red fringe on the bag-covers to dark matching trim and change the silver jacket buttons to horn. (I dont't dare suggesting Balmoral bonnets, a heresy.)

This appears to be the same band but all the colours appear different, which I'm assuming is merely the lighting. Note the red fringe is still there but not the red drone-cords.

Last edited by OC Richard; 26th October 22 at 05:03 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, yes, the Perthshire tartan is one my designs. It was designed for the Perthshire Tourist Board, in 1988 if I recall correctly, but quickly found wider appeal. Even then I was working to recreate Wilsons' shade, hence these more subtle tones.

I assume that it's the same tartan in the second picture but that the light/quality is poorer as the tartan has only every been wove as designed so far as I know.
    Last edited by figheadair; 26th October 22 at 09:43 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    yes, the Perthshire tartan is one my designs. It was designed for the Perthshire Tourist Board, in 1988 if I recall correctly, but quickly found wider appeal. Even then I was working to recreate Wilsons' shade, hence these more subtle tones.

I assume that it's the same tartan in the second picture but that the light/quality is poorer as the tartan has only every been wove as designed so far as I know.
    Every photo I've seen of the band shows the same tartan as seen in the upper photo, and it appears on the band's website, where they call it "new Perthshire muted" and "new Perth muted".

http://www.pdpb.scot/about/history/

It appears to be woven by House of Edgar, who also call it "new" and "muted"

https://www.houseofedgar.com/product...ts-district-2/

I suppose the label "new Perthshire" to distinguish it from Drummond of Perth, which I see being sold as "Perth" and "Perthshire District".
    Last edited by OC Richard; 27th October 22 at 08:59 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are good bunch that band. I used see a few them when I worked at the Inveralmond Brewery.

Also, the former Head Brewer at Inveralmond (now at Harviestoun) is a drummer for the Atholl Highlanders so there was always piper shenanigans going on.

I seem to remember that the red has some significance. Cannot remember for the life of me what it is but I shall ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Pete kindly got back to me.

The red represents the red hackle of the 42nd Highlanders (Black Watch).

The red cords have very recently been replaced with ones that match their ties which are Black Watch colours.

They have been going for over a century and have almost always had a pipe major who served in the Black Watch.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    So Pete kindly got back to me.

The red represents the red hackle of the 42nd Highlanders (Black Watch).
    Are we still discussing the Perthshire tartan? If so, that is not the case.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's talking about the red fringe off the bagpipe covers in the picture above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am referring to the cords and fringe that was mentioned by the OP.

The information was given to me by a member of the pipe band.

The Perthshire tartan is stunning. I would love to know your inspiration behind the colours.
    Last edited by Hirsty; 4th November 22 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    The Perthshire tartan is stunning. I would love to know your inspiration behind the colours.
    The basis was the idea of combining elements of the Government tartan, as worn by the 42nd (Black Watch) and the so-called Drummond of Perth tartan, itself a variant of the supposed older Stewart of Fingask. I have my doubts about the authenticity of the latter as discussed here.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post: