X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kirkin' of the Tartan

I'm beginning to get a bit worried about shipping time on my new Argyll jacket and waistcoat so thought it would be worth a question to the rabble. This Sunday, I'm attending a 230th anniversary celebration for a Presbyterian church and participating in their Kirkin' of the Tartan procession. We'll be visiting there as we're members of a different church, but the local Scottish society announced the event and invited all those interested in the kilt to attend.

I've corresponded with the church and they welcome my involvement, but clearly stated they don't have any recommended dress code for the event beyond kilts being very welcome.

My issue at this point is that my new jacket and waistcoat were supposed to arrive today, but haven't shown up and I'm always nervous about delivery dates when I don't have a tracking number. That's what I get for trying to save some money with Etsy. The new items are necessary as my old ones were bought during my recovery from Covid and, thankfully, neither the jacket nor the waistcoat will get around my shoulders anymore (but the kilt still fits!).

So, if my delivery doesn't get to me before the event on Sunday, what would you recommend for attire? PC seems completely inappropriate for an event in the morning. I can get a well fitted vest locally, so would vest, shirt, and tie be sufficiently formal? A shirt and tie without vest or jacket seems to be, well, just off when put on top of a kilt for Sunday morning.

Thanks in advance for any input. I suspect there will be all kinds of combinations with at least a few being rather creative, but as a guest I'm trying to be as respectful as possible and, of course, wearing the kilt properly!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The church has told you that all is acceptable (a typical church position! ) If you want more information, ask the sponsoring society.

As a priest, I would welcome anyone in any outfit whatever. It's the person and the soul that are welcome in church.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps a nice sweater?

Perhaps a nice sweater to dress it up a bit would work well... plenty of pictures of that on the forum.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Kitfoxdave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked in a church for a few years, while we did not do a Kirkin of the Tartan we did have a few funerals where people were asked to wear the kilt. At one of these where there were several of us kilted, there were all forms of dress from a jumper and a kilt up to and including a Prince Charlie with the kilt and everything in between. I would say if the jacket and waistcoat do not arrive in time then something with a jumper should be fine. Something like this perhaps

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the helpful thoughts. I had considered a sweater/jumper but initially dismissed it. However, after the suggestions here I think the sweater would be a better choice than just a waistcoat without jacket.

I'm sure the church will be welcoming regardless, I just tend to overthink such things.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I worked in a church for a few years, while we did not do a Kirkin of the Tartan we did have a few funerals where people were asked to wear the kilt. At one of these where there were several of us kilted, there were all forms of dress from a jumper and a kilt up to and including a Prince Charlie with the kilt and everything in between. I would say if the jacket and waistcoat do not arrive in time then something with a jumper should be fine. Something like this perhaps

I think that would be perfectly smart for Sunday morning attire, especially in light ify the fact that there's been no formality level prescribed.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JPS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post
    I'm beginning to get a bit worried about shipping time on my new Argyll jacket and waistcoat so thought it would be worth a question to the rabble. This Sunday, I'm attending a 230th anniversary celebration for a Presbyterian church and participating in their Kirkin' of the Tartan procession. We'll be visiting there as we're members of a different church, but the local Scottish society announced the event and invited all those interested in the kilt to attend.

I've corresponded with the church and they welcome my involvement, but clearly stated they don't have any recommended dress code for the event beyond kilts being very welcome.

My issue at this point is that my new jacket and waistcoat were supposed to arrive today, but haven't shown up and I'm always nervous about delivery dates when I don't have a tracking number. That's what I get for trying to save some money with Etsy. The new items are necessary as my old ones were bought during my recovery from Covid and, thankfully, neither the jacket nor the waistcoat will get around my shoulders anymore (but the kilt still fits!).

So, if my delivery doesn't get to me before the event on Sunday, what would you recommend for attire? PC seems completely inappropriate for an event in the morning. I can get a well fitted vest locally, so would vest, shirt, and tie be sufficiently formal? A shirt and tie without vest or jacket seems to be, well, just off when put on top of a kilt for Sunday morning.

Thanks in advance for any input. I suspect there will be all kinds of combinations with at least a few being rather creative, but as a guest I'm trying to be as respectful as possible and, of course, wearing the kilt properly!
    Depending on weather, a shirt and tie with no jacket or vest is perfectly acceptable. If it’s cool you could opt for a pullover or sweater vest. You could even skip the tie and go for a more casual look, shirt and pullover.

Edit: I see McMurdo beat me to the punch. His example is excellent and what I would recommend.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very cuious dilemma for a reguar kilt-wearer in Scotland to understand.

Whilst Kirkin' o' the Tartan ceremony is known about, it is something I have never participated in, or seen done.

At our periodic clan gatherings, the North American contingent arrange one of these church services as an exlusive event, and non-American clansmen are not invited - even the clan chief.

What sort of event is it, and why would there be (perhaps only perceived) dress regulations? Is normal 'Sunday Best' church-going outfit not appropriate for kirkin' the tartan?

The kilt is appropriate whenever it is appropriate to wear trousers, but the level of dress formality is governed by the occasion or situation. For a church service, suit-and-tie or jacket-and-tie has always been the convention here, although recent years has seen this sort of 'formality' fall away.

A Prince Charlie coatee is (despite being seen increasingly more often during the day) strictly an evening black-tie event garment, and would be quite inappropriate for a day-time church service.

Unless the rest of the congregation will be dressed casually (jeans and tee-shirt kind of thing), kilt, an Argyle jacket and collar and tie is what I would recommend, particularly as it will be a tartan-themed event.

The trick is to remember that Highland dress at any level of formality is not theatrical or fancy dress costume, and any element that needs justifying or explaining ought to be left off. In other words, carry it off with natural confidence, as to the manner born, as they say.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I am aware, Kirking of the tartan is not a common event over here and I know of no one who has ever attended such an event. Come to think of it, is this event celebrated on this side of the Atlantic?

At the age of four score years plus a bit , I do find wearing a pullover quite a useful option when wearing with the kilt or trousers and with the addition of a tie does allow me to feel moderately smart for the more informal events. I am not a church goer, but on the rare occasion that I do venture in, for some sort of event then I would, as a matter of course, wear a tweed argyll and tie with my kilt. Yes, I could wear a pullover and tie, but somehow for me, a tweed argyll suits me and the events perfectly. I think most experienced kilt wearers over here would do the same and the colour of tweed would matter little, although loud coloured and loud patterned tweeds would probably be avoided.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th October 22 at 02:29 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of you from Scotland that are confused by the ‘Kirkin’ of the tartan’ Do not for a minute think that this is a North American thing. I first heard about it from this forum.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast