X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanting to make my own "little kilt"

I have worn kilts for over a decade but they've always been fitted kilts. My last few kilts have been ordered without the straps and buckles and secured with a kilt belt. A kilt belt hides the top straps and buckles so there is no aesthetic change and a kilt belt holds the kilt in place if done correctly. And, I've mastered the art of wrapping the kilt and holding it into place while I secure the belt.. all while standing. Surprisingly neither the kilt or the belt move at all during the day.. perhaps my body is shaped just right for kilts. Now I want to try my hand at taking this a bit further.

I have a few tartans in mind (American National, Scottish National, Highland Granite) and I'm thinking I could order 4 yards of double-width tartan cloth, cut it in half lengthwise and end up with two feileadh beags that would easily stay in place with a kilt belt - the same way my current kilts stay in place with a kilt belt. Is this not how the little kilts of the 18th century were done? I'm thinking I could tack down the pleats into place along the top of the kilt and sew a sort of "waistband" over the stitching. The waistband and stitching would keep the pleats in place and alleviate the need to pleat the kilt on the floor, lay down on the pleats and belt it all around me. I'm assuming this would look the same as a modern kilt minus the sewn down and iron-creased pleats. I'm guessing anyone who is not a kilt historian would notice much of a difference.

I'm not a fan of 8 yard kilts and I can get 4 meters of pure new wool from Scotweb for around $67.00/meter. That would be around $270.00 for two feileadh beags.. that's quite tempting. My kilt length is 22 inches and double-width cloth would allow for proper length plus a little extra for belt loops and a waist band. I haven't yet decided whether it will be knife pleated or box pleated.

I've done oodles of measurements with bed sheets and a tape measure and I think I can pull this off with 4 yards of cloth for my 34 inch waist. I've also read much information written by Matthew Newsome and Isaac Walters. If I can do it properly I will end up with some kilts that will be quite the conversation piece. I just need to get the time period correct.

Thoughts? Advice?
    Last edited by revmacian; 28th October 22 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven’t already downloaded a copy, you might find this addition to The Art of Kiltmaking, by Matt Newsome, helpful:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...uctions-43500/
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    If you haven’t already downloaded a copy, you might find this addition to The Art of Kiltmaking, by Matt Newsome, helpful:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...uctions-43500/
    Oh, I wasn't aware of the existence of this addition. Downloading now.. and putting my "kilt project" on hold until I've read the addition. Thank you!