X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom sporran straps

I wasn't really comfortable with having the default sporran chain laying against my kilt all day so I decided to make my own sporran straps, even though I had no experience working with leather. I've made two different types, for the different attachment types on most sporrans.

The first one is a basic sporran strap and is fed through the pass-through on some sporrans. The second one is for sporrans which have the D-rings sewn into the sporran, in this case I used chapsnaps to attach to the D-rings.

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

I found the leather straps at Tandy Leather for $15.00 each and the rivets, buckles, and chapsnaps were a few dollars each. The leather is real leather, not bonded or glued, and a bit thicker than the straps I've seen online.

This project took less than a day, was quite fun, and these items should last many years. As easy as this was I'm now thinking about making my own kilt belts. I suppose I could even make my own sporrans.

If you're considering such a project, I say "go for it". I knew next to nothing about leather work and I came out with two very nice straps after a few hours work.
    Last edited by revmacian; 29th October 22 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Added encouragement

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to revmacian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you! Make sure when you put it on, that the opening on the snaps is towards the leather, not the kilt and you're off to the races!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Good for you! Make sure when you put it on, that the opening on the snaps is towards the leather, not the kilt and you're off to the races!
    Yes, very good point! I've had to check that particular strap on more than one occasion after remembering that.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to revmacian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you, I'm sure you will get years of wear from them. I did the exact thing over a decade ago, made several different sporran straps and kilt belts in different colours. After all this time, they are just as good as the day I made them.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post: