X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never know what to say here

I'm new to these forums. I wear kilts every day, I don't own any pants. I usually wear my family tartan, black sporran, black belt, black kilt hose and combat boots. This is my normal mode of dress whether I'm at work or working in the yard - I believe the value of a human being is on the inside and has little to do with their external appearance or the opinions of others.

I'm also learning Scots Gaelic. Let me know if anyone invents a time machine.. I'd like to take a one-way trip back to 1740.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failte from the Home of the Blues!

I am also learning Gaelic so Failte oribh!
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Western Canada!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revmacian View Post
    Let me know if anyone invents a time machine.. I'd like to take a one-way trip back to 1740.

Rose tinted glasses are a wonderful thing. As an historian, I'd love to be transported back for a while, especially if I could take my camera. But let's not kid ourselves, unless one have sufficient means, life was hard, uncomfortable, often short and I'll-health and violence were common companions.

5. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Rose tinted glasses are a wonderful thing. As an historian, I'd love to be transported back for a while, especially if I could take my camera. But let's not kid ourselves, unless one have sufficient means, life was hard, uncomfortable, often short and I'll-health and violence were common companions.
    You make good points! However, our outcome is largely affected by our outlook. If we're unhappy with our reality then perhaps our perspective could benefit from adjustment.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make good points! However, our outcome is largely affected by our outlook. If we're unhappy with our reality then perhaps our perspective could benefit from adjustment.
    At risk of going off down an historical rabbit hole, whilst one can change ones social status more easily today, it was much more difficult in the past.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    At risk of going off down an historical rabbit hole, whilst one can change ones social status more easily today, it was much more difficult in the past.
    I believe that one's value as a human being is not based on the opinions of other human beings. Everyone is of equal value.. for there is not another "you" in this entire universe.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that one's value as a human being is not based on the opinions of other human beings. Everyone is of equal value.. for there is not another "you" in this entire universe.
    Depending on which part of the world these days we might live, the above may be true. In Scotland in the 1740's the above argument would almost certainly not hold any sway whatsoever, unless you happened to have been born into the families of the 5% of the population that mattered and then, you also had the rather large problem of batting for the right team!

Oh and, welcome from Inverness-shire.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 31st October 22 at 08:36 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    ..unless you happened to have been born into the families of the 5% of the population that mattered..
    Therein is the point I am attempting to make. Who decides who "matters" and why give that much power away so easily? To my mind I am the only one who decides whether or not I matter. I respect the opinions of others, but I won't give opinion enough power to negatively affect me. If our lives were based on the approval/praise of others then we're only doing as good as we're being treated. Imagine riding a large roller coaster in pitch dark never knowing when the next steep downhill grade will come.

I'm sure I would have done fine in 1740. I wouldn't have had many friends and I wouldn't have been popular, but my value is not based on accolade.
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Therein is the point I am attempting to make. Who decides who "matters" and why give that much power away so easily? To my mind I am the only one who decides whether or not I matter. I respect the opinions of others, but I won't give opinion enough power to negatively affect me. If our lives were based on the approval/praise of others then we're only doing as good as we're being treated. Imagine riding a large roller coaster in pitch dark never knowing when the next steep downhill grade will come.

I'm sure I would have done fine in 1740. I wouldn't have had many friends and I wouldn't have been popular, but my value is not based on accolade.
    I certainly would not have bet my life in Scotland of the 1740's on your theory. Neither would I bet my life on your theory in parts of this world today either! But its a nice idea!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast