X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breeches worn with filabeg, America 1758

Greetings all. Looking for a perspective on this quotation posted on a forum in another place.

"The Art of War is much changed and improved here. I suppose by the End of Summer it will have undergone a total revolution... The Highlanders have put on Breeches and Lord How's Filabegs."

Dr. Richard Huck to the Earl of Loudon, May 29, 1758.

This is something I had not heard of.
    (Breeches apparently noted in Regimental Orders order for the 42nd for the next 3 years.)

Key question, I suppose: what is the distinguishing element that merits the description 'Lord How's Filabegs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
    Greetings all. Looking for a perspective on this quotation posted on a forum in another place.

"The Art of War is much changed and improved here. I suppose by the End of Summer it will have undergone a total revolution... The Highlanders have put on Breeches and Lord How's Filabegs."

Dr. Richard Huck to the Earl of Loudon, May 29, 1758.

This is something I had not heard of.
    (Breeches apparently noted in Regimental Orders order for the 42nd for the next 3 years.)

Key question, I suppose: what is the distinguishing element that merits the description 'Lord How's Filabegs?
    It’s Lord Howe. He instituted changes to uniforms of the units serving in North America. He shortened coats and generally streamlined the uniforms to better serve the terrain and type of warfare. He also made the light infantry a thing. Belted plaids in dense forest, not so good. Little kilts or breeches, better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guthrumironhead View Post
    It’s Lord Howe. He instituted changes to uniforms of the units serving in North America. He shortened coats and generally streamlined the uniforms to better serve the terrain and type of warfare. He also made the light infantry a thing. Belted plaids in dense forest, not so good. Little kilts or breeches, better.
    Yes, indeed. All the above taken as given. I should have made myself clearer. It was the detail "The Highlanders have put on Breeches and Lord How's Filabegs" which caught my attention, and which is being taken by one re-enacting group in the northeast US literally to mean wearing "Breeches with the Filabeg", that it underneath the kilt.

My feeling is this might be an excess of enthusiasm.

I should add, while I am about it, that I am also curious as to the specific influence that Lord Howe, neither Highlander or colonel of a Highland corps, might have had on the filabeg worn in 1758, that warranted his name being attached to it.