X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure many Victorian and Edwardian sporrans have those two wide straps on the back, and military horsehair sporrans have done until recently, due to the assumption that a plain leather belt would be worn.

I think it's when chain-straps became more popular that soldering the rings on the back-plate of the cantle became common.

From imagery it seems that around 1900 the chain-straps started getting more popular than leather belts for Evening sporrans, but yes chains are sometimes seen in Victorian times, usually with quite ornate cantles, which presumably had the rings.

It seems clear that the D-adapters were intended for the 20th century sporrans with a leather slot-tab sewn on the back rather than the two wide leather loops.

Sadly the catalogues only show the fronts of the sporrans, and in photos and paintings of men wearing sporrans we can see if it's a chain or a plain belt but we can't see the attachment.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    For sure many Victorian and Edwardian sporrans have those two wide straps on the back, and military horsehair sporrans have done until recently, due to the assumption that a plain leather belt would be worn.

I think it's when chain-straps became more popular that soldering the rings on the back-plate of the cantle became common.

From imagery it seems that around 1900 the chain-straps started getting more popular than leather belts for Evening sporrans, but yes chains are sometimes seen in Victorian times, usually with quite ornate cantles, which presumably had the rings.

It seems clear that the D-adapters were intended for the 20th century sporrans with a leather slot-tab sewn on the back rather than the two wide leather loops.

Sadly the catalogues only show the fronts of the sporrans, and in photos and paintings of men wearing sporrans we can see if it's a chain or a plain belt but we can't see the attachment.
    Richard,

To illustrate your point, here’s the front and back of my Ferguson & MacBean, 1896, which has a chain strap.

1896 Ferguson & MacBean.jpg
    Last edited by figheadair; 26th April 23 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting that!

Interesting that sporran doesn't have belt loops as well.

I don't often get to see the back of these vintage sporrans, but of the ones I have seen I don't recall seeing one with the metal rings only. I have seen a load with belt loops and no rings (especially military sporrans).
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    I run my strap through the back of the sporran, like a belt. Once I have it buckled and adjusted, I rotate the buckle towards my back, in order to avoid anything tangling with the "flap" of belt left hanging out past the buckle. That is nicely held in check by the belt loops in back.

Andrew
    Belt loops? BELT LOOPS! What on earth do you want those for? They are one of the most unnecessary gizmo's in the kilt attire world.----------In my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd April 23 at 05:52 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone has ever really considered the position of the buckle.

One just buckles the strap while getting dressed, and goes on with one's day.

For me, perhaps because I'm righthanded, the buckle ends up being on my right side.

As with lacing Ghillie brogues, it's fitting to keep in mind that Highland Dress is clothing, not costume.

It's not all that often that the buckle can be seen, one such is in The Highlanders of Scotland (1860s) with the gent on the right.

Likewise, I wear the buckle on the right side so it can be reached for convenience. And I also treat it as everyday clothing since I have taken to wearing a kilt as daily wear.

Cheers

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting that!

Interesting that sporran doesn't have belt loops as well.

I don't often get to see the back of these vintage sporrans, but of the ones I have seen I don't recall seeing one with the metal rings only. I have seen a load with belt loops and no rings (especially military sporrans).
    No, but it does have a lovely chain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123