X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Aussie Celtic wedding.

G'day X markers.
    Well after being a member for 12 months and with much assistance on. what I was to wear from members here-in the much anticipated wedding of our youngest daughter happened. The young couple were very keen for it to be as Celtic as possible without causing unrest for the non-celts among the guests. A couple of pics from the day showing the Kilt attire for myself, two brothers and brother in-law.

I decided on our red tartan and matching fly-plaid with argyle vest and jacket. As my grandfather was an officer in WWI I chose to also wear his ceremonial sword. The Sporran was my great grandfather's and thanks to the polishing advice from some members of the forum it came up extremely well. I also opted for a matching Cravat which despite being slightly frowned upon by some I found went very well with the rest of the outfit. My brother chose a normal necktie and without the correct vest and jacket I will say did not look as good and gave me some insight into just how it is important to get the mix right. My other brother wore the Urquhart kilt with belted plaid that I we discovered in an old chest at the farm which again thanks to some very informed members of the forum we managed to age at between 170 and 200years, which all lined up with it's likely origin. We also discovered a photo of our great uncle wearing same said kilt which we estimated to have been taken in the 1860's based on the age of our great uncle. Finally my brother-in-law wore Alan Grey tartan kilt which we gifted to the groom following the wedding as his grandmother -father's side- was from clan Grey.

Thanks again to all those who contributed to my selection of attire much appreciated by many.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flip and H isle.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	42122

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brothers in kilts.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	42123
    Last edited by Hamish Ramsay; 19th November 22 at 03:30 AM. Reason: additional info

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Hamish Ramsay For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sword is a fine way to honor your family heritage! It's good to see one worn properly.

I tried, sadly without success, to talk my friend into including arms with our highland attire for his wedding. It might not be standard, but really, how often do you get an excuse to wear a sword in today's world?
    Last edited by TNScotsman; 22nd November 22 at 07:12 AM.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TNScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post
    The sword is a fine way to honor your family heritage! It's good to see one worn properly.

I tried, sadly without success, to talk my friend into including arms with our highland attire for his wedding. It might not be standard, but really, how often do you get an excuse to wear a sword in today's world?
    Thanks TN. I didn't bother with the legalities of it all for fear of reprimand and confiscation in the "many state" that is my homeland at present. Suffice to say I was not the only one with a sword, one my best mates also wore his and both agreed the days was inconspicuous enough to take the risk. It was a real privilege that is for sure and yes the genuine baldric was quite the addition.