X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 September

£4.30
    £1.75 map
    33p lunch
    34p tea
    £2.30
    Caught ride (South Dell) w/ Newspaper delivery man from Swainbost to roundabout Stornoway. Then a Lochs man driving to Cameron Terrace, Leurbost. Then Contractor doing road work, from Stornoway. Then a White and MacKay Scotch sales rep to Outer Islands. He speaks a little Gaelic, from Glen Shiel originally. Gave me a key chain and a little Scotch bottle sample. He said Rodel Hotel kicks everyone out at 10:00, open for locals from 10:40. Left me at Leverburgh, no luck, picked me up again and brought me back to Tarbert for ferry. Gales blowing yesterday, last night and today. Heavy rain last night, intermittent showers, some heavy today. Got soaked in Leverburgh, then sun came out and wind dried mostly before I left. Cast off Tarbert 6:17. [I have a note about a picture of the last bit of spindrift off the bow of the "Hebrides" with Skye in the background (Vaternish) and Gale winds, but the camera had failed.] Uig very nice. Twilight 9:00. Raining, not yet pulled out. Only Gaelic on board. 2 girls from Benbecula and old couple that just sat down next to me. Got to Lochmaddy after 11:00. Other Gaelic speakers my own age on board.

[I remember those crossings. The first was fine. The second was rough and in the dark, and I have to say I wasn't comfortable. It wasn't seasickness, I had just never been bounced around in the dark like that before. I really did enjoy being underway. Well except that one time. The hostel must have stayed open late due to the ferry arrival because I have the charge written down. Usually they closed before then.]
    Last edited by DCampbell16B; Yesterday at 04:44 AM.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314