X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rose by any other name...

As Tobus says, were a company produces a number of products in different shades of the same general colour it can help to differentiate between them - all of the following might be described as brown or beige (which after all is nothing more than a light brown - or is it tan, khaki, taupe or stone...) but they are all differnt colours - anyway the first pair Lochcarron calls Oatmeal, the second is Camel and Paprika and the last Cinnamon and Duck Egg - looks like foodstuff and edibles are prevalent (in fact I had the two pairs with diced cuffs made from wool out of Rowan's Felted Tweed range - they have at leat another four shades of brown, which include treacle and french mustard!!) - but yeah, whilst hex codes, RBG or Pantone Nos all work (and are more precise) the more fanciful name are perhaps easier to remember -

Although the last mole I caught was clearly black, not taupe.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    ... anyway the first pair Lochcarron calls Oatmeal, the second is Camel and Paprika and the last Cinnamon and Duck Egg - looks like foodstuff and edibles are prevalent (in fact I had the two pairs with diced cuffs made from wool out of Rowan's Felted Tweed range - they have at leat another four shades of brown, which include treacle and french mustard!!)
    OK, not to change the subject, but as I have recently caught the knitting bug and am in the middle of knitting my first pair of kilt hose, I have to say that those last two pair you showed are gorgeous! I love the texture and colour flecks in that yarn. Looks like I'll be ordering some of that Rowan felted tweed for my next few projects.

I'm also eyeing the knitting/construction details on those two pairs of hose you posted. Very nice. Are these hand-made?

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Are these hand-made?
    Yes - Anne Stewart Knitwear - very reasonable price too (about the same as HoC). What I like about the Rowan Felted Tweed is the flecks, it gives it more organic look and a fair bit of leeway colour wise (similar to actual tweed) so there is a dominant ton, but a lot of other stuff going on as well. Certainly worth a look - and I think they are now up to about 40 shades (there were only about 15 a couple of years ago when I ordered my first pair).

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just encountered this interesting article which may clarify or at least amplify the linguistic base for our differences in perceiving colours. In this article, the colour under consideration is 'blue'.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/unex...r-blue-0010720

One of the most interesting philosophical challenges I've long noted and discussed, is that we might easily look at the same colour, and even call it by the same name, but there is no way to know whether what I see and what you see are the same since neither of us can enter the other's brain or eyes to see what it is that each of us perceives.

And now, we play the theme from "The Twilight Zone" as we continue this thought and discussion.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! Saving that on the off chance that I'll be teaching psychology next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I just encountered this interesting article which may clarify or at least amplify the linguistic base for our differences in perceiving colours. In this article, the colour under consideration is 'blue'.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/unex...r-blue-0010720

One of the most interesting philosophical challenges I've long noted and discussed, is that we might easily look at the same colour, and even call it by the same name, but there is no way to know whether what I see and what you see are the same since neither of us can enter the other's brain or eyes to see what it is that each of us perceives.

And now, we play the theme from "The Twilight Zone" as we continue this thought and discussion.
    The first thing I ask my psych students to do is "describe the flavor chocolate to another student *without* mentioning a chocolate-flavored food."

Describing interior mental states is notoriously difficult without some sort of shared experience, is the point.
    Last edited by Silmakhor; 5th January 23 at 07:15 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Silmakhor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did the super long laces originate? It seems an interesting choice to have them long enough to go half way up the leg however you tie them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    Where did the super long laces originate? It seems an interesting choice to have them long enough to go half way up the leg however you tie them.
    Originally the holes in brogues were not just decorative, they were to let out water and help with drying, the absence of a tongue in ghillie brogues serves the same purpose - and the long laces were to keep the ties out of the mud.

Folk shoes in other countries follow a similar pattern.

These are the traditional shoes - worn with national dress in Estonia - no broguing but they tie around the ankle:

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910