X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attempting My first kilt (Where can I purchase inexpensive plaid?)

Hello All
    I would like to attempt my first kilt. Where can I purchase inexpensive plaid ( I was thinking medium weight and blended wool 8yds) Not particular about the tartan just inexpensive. Since I might make a hash of it. Any suggestions to a novice Kiltmaker would be appreciated?

Cheers

Robert
    Last edited by Blackwatch65; 14th December 22 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When making a kilt you start with a long length of fabric either 8 yards long or of 2 pieces each 4 yards long sewn together. The width of this long piece is the length of the finished kilt.

You sew the kilt by folding this length of fabric into pleats.

It is one of almost the last steps before you take scissors to the fabric. Up until that time you could take out all the stitches and the whole thing would be one long piece of fabric again. You can practice over and over as many times as you need without hurting anything.

So, the prevailing wisdom is not to buy practice fabric, but buy the best fabric you can afford.

If you buy and make a practice kilt, in the end, all you have is a practice kilt. You then must spend more money on the fabric for your real kilt.

If you have purchased the real fabric up front you would have something you could be proud of and be able to say "I made this".

It is also the prevailing wisdom that the best quality fabric that you can afford is the best fabric for a kilt. Good quality kilt wool is a dream to sew and to press. That is why kiltmakers use it.
    Good quality kilt wool of hard spun worsted wool woven in a twill by one of the Tartan weaving mills is expensive, yes. But the end product is so much more pleasing. It is easier to work with, looks best, hangs, and swishes best.

The second bit of advice I can give you is to contact Barb Tewksbury at Celtic Dragon Press (http://www.artofkiltmaking.com/ or click on Barb's link in the right column) and order a copy of "The Art of Kiltmaking". Don't order on Amazon or anywhere else, just get it directly from the author.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 14th December 22 at 04:47 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the information

Thank you for the information . Is there any particular place in Canada is best to obtain inexpensive plaid
    ....Many Thanks again....And yes I do have a copy of the art of kilt making...great book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this site:

https://wooltartan.com/
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be a pedantic jerk for a moment:

What you're looking for is best called "tartan". "Plaid" is a Gaelic word for a blanket. "Tartan" refers to the design; "plaid" to the use.

Having said that... an awful lot of people do indeed call it "plaid", so you're not unusual in this trip-up.

Cheers!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I'm going to be a pedantic jerk for a moment:

What you're looking for is best called "tartan". "Plaid" is a Gaelic word for a blanket. "Tartan" refers to the design; "plaid" to the use.

Having said that... an awful lot of people do indeed call it "plaid", so you're not unusual in this trip-up.

Cheers!
    Ok

Please tell me how this helps me finding a plaid/tartan?? Reference: "pedantic jerk " mission accomplished

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blackwatch65 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    Check this site:

https://wooltartan.com/

Thank you very much. Looks like a very helpful site

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwatch65 View Post
    Ok

Please tell me how this helps me finding a plaid/tartan?? Reference: "pedantic jerk " mission accomplished
    Well... they won't writhe silently within their skins when you ask to buy a 'plaid'
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.