Quote Originally Posted by piperalpha View Post
Troglodyte,

I’ll likely get the second one made when I go to Scotland. I’m going to have a bespoke jacket made by Campbells of Beauly. They can measure me for the waistcoat at the same time.

It time to keep an eye out for an old pocket watch and chain or two.
Campbells' shop is like something out of a time-warp, and has remained virtually unchanged for decades and is worth going for a look-see even if you have no intention of buying.

But beware. Whilst their stock is of the highest quality, they have prices to match, and there is a long waiting list for tailored work. The last time I enquired about having some work done, they refused my custom, saying all the estate work for gamekeepers' suits, etc, meant they were over-stretched.

As Campbells get their cloths from the same sources as other Highand dress outfitters, you are just as likely to get the same quality of finished garment for a lower price from a different tailor - the only penalty is no C. of B. label.

One suggestion I would make, is to pre-order your waistcoat - giving all your sizes and sending through the tartan you want used - so that it can be ready for a fitting when you go in person. Very few waistcoats are made in the way they once were - you should know you are wearing it, I was told by my tailor when I was young. That is, close to the body and cut to fit you shape exactly, so that very little 'cinching' is needed with the rear strap.

Remember (and this is particularly important with the kilt) the waistcoat is exactly that, and not a hipcoat. With the kilt, is is best to get it to be long enough to cover the fastening straps of the kilt, and not come too far down in the front. Your kilt jacket will come only as low as the bottom of the stiching on the pleats of the kilt, so your waistcoat needs to be proportionately shorter.

A good tailor who knows his craft (rather than someone who can just follow a sewing pattern) will be happy to make what you want, and if you have a picture of style, so much the better. Take a picture from the 1930s-50s - a period when they seemed to have the 'look' just right - and get that copied. You won't be disappointed.