X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pocket Watches with PC

So I'm looking forward to celebrating Christmas Eve service and dinner after in PC this year as it's the first Christmas I have the outfit. The church service is in the evening, and while people don't wear tuxedos, there is a long history of PC being worn to the service by several members so I'm in line with accepted practice for the event. I wore the kilt with an Argyll jacket and waistcoat last year and got several compliments on being kilted, it's a great group of people.

I'm curious about thoughts on the wearing of a pocket watch with PC. While it's generally ignored today, the very traditional view is that you never wear a wristwatch with black tie. For a pocket watch, I've seen discussions that it should be entirely concealed, but others feel it's OK for the chain to be draped from a button hole on the waistcoat. What are the thoughts of my fellow XMarkers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a pocket watch with a PC and don't worry much about the old rule of not wearing watches with formal attire. I don't wear suits to work nowadays and thus have little opportunity to wear the pocket watch unless for the rare formal occasion. (FWIW, I also wear the pocket watch if wearing a tuxedo.)

Holcombe

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Holcombe Thomas For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of those who do not wear a timepiece of any sort with Black Tie.

It seems that those who do wear a pocket watch do not wear it to tell the time but to show off their watch chain and fob. I used to wear a watch chain but these days try to keep Black Tie as simple and elegant as possible so pare down the accessories as much as I can.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 17th December 22 at 02:04 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I'm one of those who do not wear a timepiece of any sort with Black Tie.

It seems that those who do wear a pocket watch do not wear it to tell the time but to show off their watch chain and fob. I used to wear a watch chain but these days try to keep Black Tie as simple and elegant as possible so pare down the accessories as much as I can.
    I'm certainly leaning towards keeping my watch discreetly tucked into a pocket and not showing off the chain. Personally I don't mind the look of a nice chain, but at the wedding I was in wearing PC I kept a watch with fob tucked into my waistcoat pocket and not showing. In that case I needed a watch as the best man, if only to confirm how late things were running while we waited to be called for the start!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never worried about wearing a watch with any variation. It's normally covered by my shirt cuff (a lot of guys wear too short a shirtsleeve) but I won't wear any watch that might be considered 'gaudy', and with more formal or traditional wear, I use a simple watch with a dark wristband. Thus, it's out of sight most of the time, and if it does peek out, it's unlikely to be noticed.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done it in the past and would probably do it again. My only bit if advice would be to match your metals for evening I would go with silver.

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I've done it in the past and would probably do it again. My only bit if advice would be to match your metals for evening I would go with silver.

On this rare occasion I would have to disagree with Glen, matching the watch chain metals is an unnecessary detail. Perhaps a pocket watch with a fob might solve the problem if it really bothers you?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th December 22 at 04:45 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    On this rare occasion I would have to disagree with Glen, matching the watch chain metals is an unnecessary detail. Perhaps a pocket watch with a fob might solve the problem if it really bothers you?
    Fair enough, this pocket watch, fob and chain were a 50th birthday present to myself, as I already had a brass set I purchased silver all from ebay, the fob is Victorian, the chain is modern and the watch itself is from the 1970's. I reserve this set for evening wear as I use the brass for day wear. I will say if you want to wear a pocket watch and you only have one, then wear what you have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post

Thanks for the response and my compliments on the burgundy jacket. I think it would be wonderful for Christmas, but not with my MacFarlane kilt!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post
    Thanks for the response and my compliments on the burgundy jacket. I think it would be wonderful for Christmas, but not with my MacFarlane kilt!
    It works with some tartans but not others. I got this from a seller on gumtree for I think £20. It was too good a price to pass up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast