X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns Night/Week—Connecticut

Place: Scottish Dave’s Pub, 24 East Main Street, Clinton, Connecticut. These are not specifically planned as “kilt night” events, but there are sure to be plenty of kilts present.

Wednesday, January 25: What actually happens is a little up in the air, as Dave (who is a trained chef from Glasgow) has been having trouble finding haggis. He is still exploring his options, including looking for a sheep farm. At any rate, something will surely be happening, to include music. I’ll update as I hear.

Thursday, January 26: Regularly scheduled monthly Whisky Club ($25) to be followed by the Wandering Fiddlers, who usually have at least ten musicians onstage, including at least five fiddlers, two guitarists, two penny whistles, and a bodhran player playing Celtic music, many of the songs being singalongs.

Friday, January 27: To be confirmed, I will update as I hear more, but likely to be a talented singing Irish bouzouki/piper/guitar/etc. player.

Scottish Dave’s has Belhaven and Tennent’s on tap (among other beers) and an excellent whisky selection. I’ll also note that the first Friday of every month is a regularly scheduled ceilidh with the Shoreline Fiddle Club, not limited to fiddles.

If coming any distance, I’d recommend double-checking the evening’s activities.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to BobF For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Dave tonight and he has procured his haggis (and apparently some Irn-Bru?), so he’s set for his menu on January 25. It sounds like it will be piped in, but not Addressed.

He doesn’t know which whisky will be tasted on January 26, but it will apparently be four from the same distillery. They’ve done this recently with Ardbeg. He’s actually looking forward to being surprised by the selection, so there’s unlikely to be any further identification until the night of the tasting.

Celtic music on Friday, January 27 will be by multinstrumentalist Baird Welch-Collins, who is also the pipe major of the St. Edmonds Pipe & Drum group based in Mystic, Connecticut. I’m betting he brings his bouzouki. I’ve made a request to hear “The Road to Drumleman”; here’s hoping he has a chance to learn it before then.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to BobF For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And . . . Dave is back to not having haggis next week. He’s having trouble with his supplier, which won’t take a phone order, insisting he use the website, but the web order page isn’t working. He’s absolutely frustrated.

He should have Irn Bru, though (not that it’s traditional fare), as that seems to be a different supplier.
    Last edited by BobF; 25th January 23 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now, due to various complications almost certainly including slick weather, there will be no special Burns Night festivities tonight at Dave’s. I’m sure next year will be better. There will still be Whisky Club tomorrow followed by the Wandering Fiddlers, and Celtic musician Baird Welch-Collins on Friday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had given some thought to the road trip, but decided Clinton was a bit far for a trip to the pub. I see I didn't miss anything.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AFS1970 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFS1970 View Post
    I had given some thought to the road trip, but decided Clinton was a bit far for a trip to the pub. I see I didn't miss anything.
    I’m told that several people came in expecting festivities, sadly. They’re already planning for next year to be much better, and as it turns out, next year Burns Night falls on the same night as the monthly Whisky Club, so it’s already an event.

Tonight’s Whisky Club followed by the Wandering Fiddlers was quite well attended, and a very good time. Tomorrow night’s (actually tonight, since it’s after midnight when I’m writing his) performance by Baird Welch-Collins should be excellent as well.

Oh, and looking ahead, St. Andrew’s Night will also fall on a Whisky Club night in November. I made sure to point that out to Dave, so he’s thinking about it ahead of time.
    Last edited by BobF; 26th January 23 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, just as a final follow-up, last night’s show with Baird Welch-Collins was magic, he alternated between the Irish bouzouki, acoustic guitar, and did a few songs on smallpipes. Two sets, heartfelt performances to a small but very enthusiastic crowd. Then afterward we had an extra treat when Dave and Phyllis did a few songs, followed by a couple from noted folksinger Cliff Haslam.

There were three of us in kilts. I had my regular pint of Belhaven with my dinner and a dram of Big Peat later (allegedly the Scotch with the highest peat content? Damned good stuff, though I wouldn’t want it all the time).

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BobF For This Useful Post: