X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Size-mismatched PC and vest—what to do?

The situation: several months back I bought a kilt outfit on Facebook Marketplace. I haven’t had a chance to wear the Prince Charlie jacket and vest yet, but with Burns Night approaching I’ve been preparing. Unfortunately, long story short, the jacket (marked Raymond of Doune, by Lochcarron) is a size 46 and the vest (not separately marked for maker) is size 52. Even pinning up slack at the vest shoulders, it hangs way below the edge of the jacket. Not sure how the seller wore it this way. Anyway, it’s clear that I won’t be wearing this vest for Burns Night, and it seems way too large to take in without completely remaking it.

1. What are the chances of being able to swap vests with someone and have the fabric match?

2. Are PC jackets always worn with a vest? Can I get away without the vest, or should I just wear a different suit jacket to the event?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks!

Edit: I’ve just learned that the vest/waistcoat I received is actually an Argyll vest (five buttons) and so clearly was not part of the outfit to begin with.
    Last edited by BobF; 14th January 23 at 03:29 PM. Reason: New information discovered.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Burns night you are going to Black Tie? Do you have another jacket to wear? If not, then by all means wear the Prince Charlie jacket without a waistcoat, it has been done before. If it's not black tie then wear an Argyll jacket if you have one, if not perhaps a shirt with a jumper over it, this keeps the outfit casual but still works for many events when not going black tie.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Is the Burns night you are going to Black Tie? Do you have another jacket to wear? If not, then by all means wear the Prince Charlie jacket without a waistcoat, it has been done before. If it's not black tie then wear an Argyll jacket if you have one, if not perhaps a shirt with a jumper over it, this keeps the outfit casual but still works for many events when not going black tie.
    Not black tie, it’s at a local pub, and I expressed my concern to the publican that I might end up being a peacock amongst pigeons, but we both agreed that there are very few times during the year that we can dress up, so why not have fun? I don’t yet own an Argyll, all I have otherwise are blazers and a 1935 tailcoat. I could go with the jumper, but the pub has three straight nights of activities, the next night being Whisky Club and music, and the following being a Celtic multi-instrumentalist, and I don’t want to wear the jumper and kilt three nights straight, preferring to change it up, keeping the kilt each night. So I guess I’ll wear the PC without the waistcoat. Do I still wear a bow tie, or should I switch to a necktie in that case? I would imagine a necktie would look more correct.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good heavens, man - if you can afford a kilt and PC you can afford more than one jumper!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Good heavens, man - if you can afford a kilt and PC you can afford more than one jumper!
    I’ll have to look through my others; most of them I’ve had for a long time and they’ve seen better days, or else they’d clash with Black Watch. I had one particular jumper in mind because it goes well with my tam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    I’ll have to look through my others; most of them I’ve had for a long time and they’ve seen better days, or else they’d clash with Black Watch. I had one particular jumper in mind because it goes well with my tam.
    Technicaloly and traditionally, nothing clashes with any tartan. Tartan is considered to stand on its own. Black Watch in particular is unlikely to ‘clash’ even in the eye of someone who doesn’t understand that. No need to go matchy.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could wear the PC without a waistcoat and with a dress belt if you have one.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCampbell16B View Post
    You could wear the PC without a waistcoat and with a dress belt if you have one.
    You could also wear a cummerbund (without the belt). I have seen this combination, which works quite well, a number of times over the years. Black cummerbunds are usually available from quality men's wear shops.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imrichmond For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I wear the PC without the waistcoat, I always wear a black bow tie, never a long tie. This is to keep with the formality level (is that a thing?) of the jacket. I wear a black belt with silver buckle as well. I'm not a fan of the cummerbund with kilt look.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    So I guess I’ll wear the PC without the waistcoat. Do I still wear a bow tie, or should I switch to a necktie in that case? I would imagine a necktie would look more correct.
    A PC is the equivalent of a tuxedo, so a necktie wouldn't ever be worn with it.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast