X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matte finish buttons

To go with my earlier question about painting buttons, where can I buy black or at least less shiny square kilt buttons? All the places I have found are UK based and the shipping costs are killer.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    To go with my earlier question about painting buttons, where can I buy black or at least less shiny square kilt buttons? All the places I have found are UK based and the shipping costs are killer.
    Find a friend in the UK to receive them and th3n post them. Shouldn't be outrageous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I recently got a set from Claymore Imports in Arizona. They have a variety of non-chrome buttons. The price was reasonable. I should mention that the item was out of stock, then they lost track of my order. I had to remind them and they were so embarrassed they instantly shipped the item AND refunded my money. So a couple weeks ago I was a disgruntled customer, but now I'm a happy one.
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The standard square Evening Dress jacket buttons have been made plated with silver, Rhodium, nickel, and chrome, in both shiny and "antique" finish.

Or you can DIY a shiny finish into a "brushed nickel" finish, quickly done with steel wool.

Or you can "antique" the shiny buttons.

Here's an example with bagpipe mounts. These hand-engraved mounts are uber-shiny aluminium, not everyone's cup of tea.

The guy who did the engraving told me that aluminium can't be "antiqued" in the traditional ways done with silver and nickel.

He said, while perhaps not perfect, the best method he knew was to use a felt marker pen, specifically this one

Staedtler Lumocolor Permanent Special

The reason being that most "black" markers are actually a very dark purple, while this marker is a true black.

Here's the before and after:

Last edited by OC Richard; 16th January 23 at 10:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte