X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Surnames

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surnames

I was reading through the genealogy section and found that a number of searches were relying on surnames. This may not be the best approach. In my case my last name was misspelled on my grandfathers birth certificate. The name should be Curwen but it was common practice to drop a W in the middle of a word. Sometimes the W was replaced with an R. An example is the name Warwick. This name is pronounced with the middle W silent, Warrick. I have family members who are Warwicks. This is the reason why my surname wound up Curran instead of Curwen. The Curwens were a reviver clan and were located In Cumberland. The name originated as a place name in Kirkcudbright.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digging back into my family tree on both sides, it's rare that a spelling variation lasted more than three generations no matter where they were from: Ireland, Germany, Norway, or France.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, misspellings or intentional changes to surnames are very important to understand when chasing genealogy. Sometimes they were changed when immigrants reached new shores because they weren't literate and relied on the officials to write it down as it sounded. In other cases they were changed to sound less ethnic, or to be less complicated. Many of the Gaelic based names, of course, had to be roughly approximated in English.

A prime example of surname simplification is that of Colquhoun. It's pronounced "ca-hoon". The surname many know today as Calhoun is a derivative of Colquhoun because, quite frankly, keeping the original spelling would guarantee a lifetime of explaining to people how to say it.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another means of acquiring a surname was being named after the place you're from, the trade you followed or the language you spoke. A former neighbor's family was named after the village of Killin in Scotland - thus, Killinder. Another friend's surname was Miller. I also knew a guy whose last name was Deutsch (pronounced doytch) for someone from Germany or speaking German.

My surname is another case in point - Scott. Some Scott's were actually part of the Border clan/family and eventually got the name as last names became more popular (between the 11th and 16th centuries, according to most sources). Some didn't have a last name at first, but when the family moved out of Scotland, they were referred to as 'xxx, the Scot', which gradually became 'xxx Scot'. As spelling became standardized, the last name gained the second 't' to differentiate the family from the ethnicity.

The chief of Clan Scott is the Duke of Buccleuch, so Buccleuch became a surname for some members of the clan. It's also spelled Buckloo, Buckalew, and there are others as well. There are also the Scotts of Harden (so the surname Harden may mean you're actually a Scott!), the Scotts of Ancrum, the Scotts of Polwarth, etc.

As for my line's origins, we're not sure. As far as I know, the furthest back anyone in the family has been able to trace so far is an Alexander Scott who settled in the Clinch River valley of southwest Virginia about 1774. We don't know where he came from before then.

Genealogy is such a fascinating (and confusing and frustrating) subject.
    John

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Another means of acquiring a surname was being named after the place you're from, the trade you followed or the language you spoke. A former neighbor's family was named after the village of Killin in Scotland - thus, Killinder. Another friend's surname was Miller. I also knew a guy whose last name was Deutsch (pronounced doytch) for someone from Germany or speaking German.

My surname is another case in point - Scott. Some Scott's were actually part of the Border clan/family and eventually got the name as last names became more popular (between the 11th and 16th centuries, according to most sources). Some didn't have a last name at first, but when the family moved out of Scotland, they were referred to as 'xxx, the Scot', which gradually became 'xxx Scot'. As spelling became standardized, the last name gained the second 't' to differentiate the family from the ethnicity.

The chief of Clan Scott is the Duke of Buccleuch, so Buccleuch became a surname for some members of the clan. It's also spelled Buckloo, Buckalew, and there are others as well. There are also the Scotts of Harden (so the surname Harden may mean you're actually a Scott!), the Scotts of Ancrum, the Scotts of Polwarth, etc.

As for my line's origins, we're not sure. As far as I know, the furthest back anyone in the family has been able to trace so far is an Alexander Scott who settled in the Clinch River valley of southwest Virginia about 1774. We don't know where he came from before then.

Genealogy is such a fascinating (and confusing and frustrating) subject.
    My maternal grandmother stems from Scotts of Yorkshire. I suspect there's not a lot of Scottish ancestry there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silmakhor View Post
    My maternal grandmother stems from Scotts of Yorkshire. I suspect there's not a lot of Scottish ancestry there.
    My paternal grandmother was a Wilson and the family were cleared off their land in Scotland and were able to travel down the coast to Yorkshire by boat, allegedly with a couple of goats. The women of the family were nurses and midwives and the goats were essential to their skills.
    They went inland by canal and ended up in a smallholding in the Pennines which was all on a slant but they were as Scottish as Hogmanay. They did not keep Christmas, regarding it as a pagan festival, for several generations.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silmakhor View Post
    The border between Scotland and its southern neighbor was quite mutable over a long period of time, and without going anywhere people had changing nationality. Add to that
    the nature of the border folk raiding and trading across the border, the bloodline ties across the border were a given. Scotts were border folk, and family has been more durable
    than borders. In one of my lines, there were three Capt. William Moseleys in Virginia in 1660, two from England (one from London, one from Staffordshire), and one from the
    Netherlands. All three trace back to the Staffordshire/Shropshire/Offa's Dyke area. Not a question of kin, just how far back.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Interesting. My paternal lineage dead-ends with my great, great, great grandfather in 1790 in the Poplar Camp area of Wythe County, Va.

As said in the page linked below, "[his] date of birth and parentage has eluded all genealogists."

https://www.newrivernotes.com/greenb...orge-mckenzie/
    Last edited by MacKenzie; 22nd January 23 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Left out one "great">
    Tulach Ard