X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Burnetts and Struth website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I too generally find that UK made jackets fit fine, no "size up" needed.

By the way, for those that aren't aware the firm the St Kilda Group includes Gaelic Themes, RG Hardie, Peter Henderson, and I'm not sure what else.

What I didn't mention in my post above is that I do believe I would have had a better experience had I ordered through USAKilts rather than directly from St Kilda/Gaelic Themes.

It's often helpful to have a filter so to speak, someone who knows how the maker operates and what sort of information the maker does, and doesn't, require.
    I'm about 99% certain that a jacket I tried on locally - from Rablogan Castle in Vermont - was also Gaelic Themes.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Silmakhor For This Useful Post:

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I too generally find that UK made jackets fit fine, no "size up" needed.

By the way, for those that aren't aware the firm the St Kilda Group includes Gaelic Themes, RG Hardie, Peter Henderson, and I'm not sure what else.

What I didn't mention in my post above is that I do believe I would have had a better experience had I ordered through USAKilts rather than directly from St Kilda/Gaelic Themes.

It's often helpful to have a filter so to speak, someone who knows how the maker operates and what sort of information the maker does, and doesn't, require.
    I agree 100%! I have a Gaelic Themes jacket that I'm very happy with. I ordered it through Freedom Kilts. Steve Ashton took all the measurements and pictures of me in one of his stock jackets, and sent them in with my order. The result fit perfectly.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure USA Kilts would help. They told me that they stopped offering MTM service because problems in sizing made it more trouble than it's worth. Maybe they are doing it again. The standard size jackets they sell are Gaelic Themes of course. Measuring yourself can be annoying and a problem.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clan Urquhart.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb me, the jacket I tried on locally was a “Clunie” jacket from House of Edgar. My normal suit jackets fit at 44”. Other Saxon jackets I’ve tried fit at 42” - sometimes, but sometimes they don’t.

The HoE jacket I tried at 44” was tight in the arms and shoulders - and it wasn’t just a matter of American vs. Euro tastes. My motion was constricted. Not acceptable for a jacket I intend to gig in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12