X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Graduation Shoes

Hello! It's been oh... a few years since I last posted. Apologies.

So I'm graduating from college again, and I'd like to wear a kilt. Again. But this ceremony will involve QUITE a bit of walking as it is taking place in a large venue in a large city, and my brogues are just not up to the task. Or rather, my feet aren't if they're in the brogues.

What shoe option would work for this? The event is far from black tie, so I was contemplating wearing a tweed jacket or argyle. It's not so casual that I can wear combat boots, I think. Also, I might be one of the speakers, so I'd like to shoot for a good solid business casual.
    Whovian Kilted Lebowski
    "When positivity and intellect can't overcome brute force and pessimism... I go bowling."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pair of black "oxfords" would be my choice.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with Jock Scot. You can't go wrong with a pair of black Oxfords. If you want a slightly more casual look (smart casual) but with comfort in mind for the amount of walking you'll do, go with a Derby or Blucher type shoe with open lacing rather than the closed lacing of an Oxford. And a soft sole rather than a hard leather sole.

I personally prefer a black cap-toe Blucher or Derby style with rubber sole, and the cap well-polished. I find that this offers the best compromise between comfort and style for me. I believe these are rather inexpensive Dockers shoes, although I'm sure any brand you prefer will make something similar.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, gents. A pair of Oxfords it is. I might come back and post pictures. Graduation is nearer the end of the year, but I've been going kilt crazy the last week or so, so you'll see more of me here. ;)
    Whovian Kilted Lebowski
    "When positivity and intellect can't overcome brute force and pessimism... I go bowling."

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BrMac For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would say a good pair of oxfords or wingtips.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Scrunt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrMac View Post
    Hello! It's been oh... a few years since I last posted. Apologies.

So I'm graduating from college again, and I'd like to wear a kilt. Again. But this ceremony will involve QUITE a bit of walking as it is taking place in a large venue in a large city, and my brogues are just not up to the task. Or rather, my feet aren't if they're in the brogues.

What shoe option would work for this? The event is far from black tie, so I was contemplating wearing a tweed jacket or argyle. It's not so casual that I can wear combat boots, I think. Also, I might be one of the speakers, so I'd like to shoot for a good solid business casual.

I found Cole Haan ZERØGRAND wingtips are quite comfortable. I use them with day wear when I compete in Highland Games, which are very long days without a chance to sit at all.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to PiperPadre For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be doing some shoe shopping Sunday and report back on what I find. I sure wish I could find a nice looking pair of black or brown hushpuppies. ;)
    Whovian Kilted Lebowski

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with these. The traditional oxfords were irritating my ankles, and I know I have quite a bit of walking ahead of me so that was never going to work. I think these will be perfect for what we're doing during the graduation weekend.

0C8C3BB0-63AF-448C-80A7-E776332422D4.jpeg

Edit: I can’t upload a photo. Any idea why? I’ve selected the file but there’s no “okay” button to confirm.

Guessing it was due to the image size. Got it.
    Last edited by BrMac; 6th February 23 at 12:28 PM.
    Whovian Kilted Lebowski

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to BrMac For This Useful Post: