X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTB Tweed Kilt Jacket, 44-46R, prefer green or navy

I'm looking for a color that will go well with a MacLaren Modern tartan kilt. The source of the fabric, Locharron, describes MacLaren Modern Heavyweight Tartan as a traditional blue-based tartan with shades of green and colourful overchecks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maclaren-modern.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	42325
    Last edited by tubino; 4th February 23 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tubino View Post
    I'm looking for a color that will go well with a MacLaren Modern tartan kilt. The source of the fabric, Locharron, describes MacLaren Modern Heavyweight Tartan as a traditional blue-based tartan with shades of green and colourful overchecks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maclaren-modern.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	42325
    Remember, REMEMBER, these words ! "Hurry slowly."

There are a dizzying large quantity of tweed colours and patterns to choose from and added to that, the tweed can come in a variety of weights.The trick with a tweed pattern is that it should not outshine the tartan. There is also an opportunity not to match the colours of the kilt, so contrast choices are available. There is one word to bare in mind with tweed colours and patterns, particularly when worn with the kilt and that is, "subtle".

I am guessing, but I suspect on average your climate will be warmer than we have in Scotland although, perhaps your winters are colder than we have here, so a waistcoat might also be a consideration.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 5th February 23 at 03:41 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Remember, REMEMBER, these words ! "Hurry slowly."
    Thanks for the advice, Jack. I'm at the border of Ohio and Michigan, where temperatures were around 8F / -13C yesterday, so we do get cold days here. The waistcoat seems a must for several reasons, so I'll try to get them together.

I hear you on subtle. I'm looking at some calm green/lovat/blue-green tweeds now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your kilt pleated to the Sett or to the Strip?(if you know what the means) I would personally go with a green tweed since that's what section the strips are located on. What ever striped you will choose(if you pleated your kilt to the stripe) will determined the colors of your accessories(tie, flashes etc...)
    Last edited by Patty Logan; 5th February 23 at 02:10 PM.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would argue that while some patterned tweeds can be too 'busy' to go well with tartan, for the most part any color tweed 'goes' with any tartan. Has anyone ever seen someone else in a kilt and thought," That jacket really doesn't go with that tartan." I'm guessing most haven't. We obsess over every detail but then we are the only ones who notice or care about them.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    Is your kilt pleated to the Sett or to the Strip?(if you know what the means) I would personally go with a green tweed since that's what section the strips are located on. What ever striped you will choose(if you pleated your kilt to the stripe) will determined the colors of your accessories(tie, flashes etc...)
    I don't have it in hand yet, but the kilt I'm getting is pleated to sett. It is coming with the matching tartan flashes.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tubino For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crikey! I know that kilt attire choices are a personal choice and how we end up with the colours we do is somewhat of a lottery, but that is the most unnecessarily complicated method of choosing colours of our kilt attire that I have ever heard of!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Crikey! I know that kilt attire choices are a personal choice and how we end up with the colours we do is somewhat of a lottery, but that is the most unnecessarily complicated method of choosing colours of our kilt attire that I have ever heard of!
    well at least that's how I would do it... To each there own!
    Last edited by Patty Logan; 6th February 23 at 07:33 AM.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well at least that's how I would do it... To each there own!
    Fair enough.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: