X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a quality wool kilt jacket be tailored to a smaller size?

I could get a used but very presentable kilt jacket in a color and fabric and style I like, at an attractive price. But my US size is about 44L and the UK item is listed as 48. Is it true that the UK size is likely 2" larger than the US designation would be, so this woudl be a US 46"? And if it is too big for me by a size or two, can it make sense to pay a tailor to custom size it to me? I would guess some adjustments are a lot easier than others but are any beyond the skills of an regular seamstress/tailor?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you a guy whos weight fluctuates up and down in size? I had the same issue were I bought a slightly used jacket during the summer and it fit just perfectly! The issue is that during the winter months (and just around Robbie Burns day actually) I actually gain some weight and to my anger and disappointment, the jacket was no longer usable.

Are you also getting a matching vest with the jacket? Correct me if I'm wrong but i think that if you do get a vest then il will be a different fit/size then the jacket itself.
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    Are you a guy whos weight fluctuates up and down in size? I had the same issue were I bought a slightly used jacket during the summer and it fit just perfectly! The issue is that during the winter months (and just around Robbie Burns day actually) I actually gain some weight and to my anger and disappointment, the jacket was no longer usable.

Are you also getting a matching vest with the jacket? Correct me if I'm wrong but i think that if you do get a vest then il will be a different fit/size then the jacket itself.
    My weight does not fluctuate a lot, but I'm a bit fatter this time of year than in the summer. I'm measuring to fit now, so... should be okay later? I wonder if I'll regret not getting the waistcoat/vest at the same time as the jacket... I don't how sizing on those works.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tubino View Post
    My weight does not fluctuate a lot, but I'm a bit fatter this time of year than in the summer. I'm measuring to fit now, so... should be okay later? I wonder if I'll regret not getting the waistcoat/vest at the same time as the jacket... I don't how sizing on those works.
    I know distances in your part of the world are sometimes of a bother, but surely you would at least get a tailor to measure you, even if he is not the one providing the garment? Yes , I know some tailors have their own method of measuring, but to me not being measured and just going on, what appears to me, random sizes is a recipe for disaster and disappointment?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th February 23 at 06:24 AM. Reason: found my glasses!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it true that the UK size is likely 2" larger than the US designation would be, so this woudl be a US 46"?
    I have never heard that, and tend to doubt there's any truth to it. I have a closet full of UK-made kilt jackets of various makes and vintages, and they all seem built true to size.

That said, it is quite common for the actual measurement of a jacket (when measured armpit-to-armpit and multiplied by 2) to be 2" larger than your actual chest size. This is so the jacket will fit and allow you to move, and has nothing to do with being oversized versus US styles.

To be clear, if you had a jacket with no tag and were trying to figure out the chest size, you would measure from armpit-to-armpit with the jacket laid flat. If it measures 24" across, it would likely be made for a 46" chest. For me, with a 38" chest, I look for jackets that measure 20" from armpit-to-armpit.

Honestly, if you're a 44" chest and considering a 48" jacket, I think it will be way too large. Having a tailor modify it would involve major reconstruction since the shoulders would be too wide.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, time to buy a good measuring tape

Thanks, this is very helpful. I'll measure the jackets that fit me well now and figure it out. My wife is tired of me swiping her favorite tape though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, this is very helpful. I'll measure the jackets that fit me well now and figure it out. My wife is tired of me swiping her favorite tape though.
    You could have yourself measured and then ask the seller for the measurements of the jacket. I've done this for non-kilt jackets from eBay. Chest,length, shoulders,etc..
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.