X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to my clan badge?

Hello I have two clan MacBean badges purchased nearly 20 years ago. I had not used one them for years it is one I purchased for my son and appears to be tarnished but did not respond to lemon juice and baking soda. I am not sure what the badge is made of, what the problem is and how to fix it if possible. It may just be an overly cheap one and not worth the trouble. I look forward to what help you can offer. Here is a picture. clan badge.jpg
    I am new to forum I hope you will be able to see the image.
    Thanks,
    Doc MacBean
    Born and raised in foothills of the Appalachians a son of American Revolution, of Union Veterans of Civil War, member First Families of Ohio and proud member of Clans MacBean and Chattan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Western Canada!
    you may want to enjoy the patina of an aged item, rather than trying to make it look new.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the “Great Rabble”!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a German product called Simichrome to polish my metal badges, sporran hardware, etc.

About what your badge is made from, there are many possibilities!

In the 19th century and up until around the 1950s "Highland ornaments" (badges, buckles, sporran hardware, etc) were generally made of solid German silver AKA "nickel silver" AKA "Cupro-nickel".

When polished up this alloy has a remarkable resemblance to Sterling Silver, and in fact sellers of vintage items mistake German Silver for Sterling Silver all the time.

Sometimes the German Silver is silver-plated making it look exactly like silver, until the plating wears off in places.

Also there were a large number of firms who made badges etc in Sterling Silver. These usually carry full Silver hallmarks.

The new Clan badge firms that came along more recently

Art Pewter Silver (1968)
    Carrick (1971)

used plated base-metal.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as identifying who made your badges, here's a thread I posted a while back, an introduction to several different makers

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...s-sizes-96935/
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clan badge follow-up

Your thread is very informative I appreciate the work you did preparing that presentation. You mention the possibility of newer ones being a plated base metal. This badge is about 50 mm and the animal figure and overall imagery seems cruder than my other badge. The other badge (approx. 41 MM) is perhaps pewter with more 3d imagery. See attached photo. On close examination it appears the larger badge rather than tarnish may have a thin coating that has flaked off at points to reveal some kind of a yellow or gold colored base metal. It is odd for it to be flaking since it was worn very few times and then simply laid in a box penned to a black Glengarry for years. In your thread you mentioned a makers mark attached are photos of the back of these badges which appears to perhaps have makers mark of some kind. Any additional insights or thoughts are appreciated. clan badges.jpgclan badge back.jpgsmall badge reverse side.jpg
    Born and raised in foothills of the Appalachians a son of American Revolution, of Union Veterans of Civil War, member First Families of Ohio and proud member of Clans MacBean and Chattan.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your upper badge, with the simplistic modernist insert, looks like the Carrick-lineage large badges made by Gaelic Themes.

Interesting that yours is Rhodium-plated base metal, because mine appears to be solid pewter.

Your bottom badge is by Art Pewter Silver (below). I think these were Rhodium-plated base metal.

Last edited by OC Richard; 25th February 23 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow so helpful!!! Thank you!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome, brother!

I couldn't help noticing your background

Born and raised in foothills of the Appalachians a son of American Revolution and of Union Veterans of Civil war and member First families of Ohio.

and how similar it is to mine.

I'm the descendant of two men, one English-born the other a first-generation American of a Scottish-born father, who served together in the Virginia Militia in the "French & Indian War" and Washington's army in the Revolution. They became, after that war, the first two European families in what is now southwestern West Virginia. Their descendants have been intermarrying down to the present day.

In the Civil War the male descendants were all Union Soldiers. My branch is from one of five brothers who served in Company I, 7th West Virginia Cavalry. That company had over 20 soldiers with my last name.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similarities in our history

We do have considerable similarities in the activities of our ancestors. Actions of which I believe we can be proud. It is said that a maternal ancestor fought with Roger's Rangers but I have not been able to independently confirm this. I have been able to confirm 3 members of my maternal ancestors who fought in the Rev War. Two brothers served in NY and perhaps New Hampshire companies. Their family was said by one professional genealogist to be from Scotland. Tow members of my maternal line fought in the 1798 United Irishmen Rebellion were declared outlaw and emigrated to Philadelphia. It is likely their father my 4th G grandfather died (July 1798 in Ballymena, Antrim) in or as result of that rebellion. Another maternal ancestor, my 4th G Grandfather, served in the Rev War from Maryland and is my SAR proved ancestor. His family was from Ireland or Scotland the record is not clear which. My 3rd G grandfather served as a sergeant with Streeter's NY militia company in War of 1812. My 4th G Grandmother the widow of my 4th G Grandfather who died during the United Irishmen Rebellion left Ireland with my 3rd G Grandfather joined his brothers in Philadelphia for a time and settled near Zanesville, OH by 1808.
    In my maternal line 14 of my ancestors served with the Union Army during the Civil War. A Great Uncle, who before the war was a minister, Justice of Peace and township trustee, in 1861 and helped raise an infantry company of the 18th OVI and served as its Captain. The company included two of his brothers, a nephew and his oldest son. Later, in December of 1863, he recruited my 2nd G Grandfather (not related to the Captain) who actually was barely 15 at the time. The 18 OVI served with distinction at the Battle of Stones River which gave the Union a much-needed victory and control of central TN and they fought at Chattanooga/Chickamauga as well. Other of my relatives were at both Battles of Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and Appomattox. One ancestor a sergeant with 73rd OVI was captured and held for six months as POW. He was then paroled and discharged due to disability.
    My father served in Korea and while he was at war I was born in Athens, Ohio and upon his return from war he moved to Southern Ohio where in the midst of the foothills of the Appalachians and on the banks of the Ohio River I was raised.