X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Yup. Pretty much. That one incorporates changes that wouldn't be possible with a pre-existing jacket (adding an inch to the back width, using a wool/lycra blend, etc.), but a similar idea - make it easier to play the pipes without impairing arm/shoulder comfort and movement.
    John

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    As a piper who has worn an Inverness rain cape I would suggest going with the Inverness cape rather than a Coachman's Cape.
    I agree 100%.

The last thing I want is more fabric between me and the bag.

The fabric of the jacket (which you're generally wearing the Inverness cape over) is more than enough.

I think it's part of the reason nearly all competition bands have gone with waistcoats sans jackets in competition.

Cost is one reason for sure, but the other is the comfort for the pipers and the range of motion for the tenor drummers.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I’ll stay away from the pipers jackets. They look very baggy. I’m happy with my Argyll and waistcoat. Fits me the way it should. I’ve never been uncomfortable playing in it. When I compete I might be playing a 12-15 minute Piobaireachd and I have never been uncomfortable tuning up or playing.

I think I’ve found some melton wool. I’m going to order a sample it’s a very dark blue like I wanted

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amazing Bernadette Banner made one and put up a video on its construction.

Might be worth a watch before you start your own project.

https://www.google.com/search?client...id:5lEWuWAh_3I

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did see it. A German sounding fellow made a similar one and they did a video together wearing the clothes they made. There’s some very talented people on YouTube.That’s what got me thinking hey I could probably get some help from my mum and end up an Inverness cape that would keep me warm.
    Last edited by piperalpha; 23rd March 23 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made an Inverness cape for my husband some years ago, from a 10yd length of Harris tweed I got in a thrift store for $1/yd. I used the synthetic one from his pipe band uniform as a pattern. It worked just fine. I scrounged leather knotted buttons, small for the body and large for the cape.

The only thing I would do differently is use 18th century tailoring methods rather than modern 'bag' construction. It doesn't sit well with the lining being a whole separate component. And it really needs topstitching around the collar, the center front of the body, and the hem of the cape.

If the 18th century method is something you want to know about, let me know and I'll prep a series of pics to post to the thread, so you can see what I mean. I like the way it causes shell and lining to handle as one.

Verity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verity View Post
    I made an Inverness cape for my husband some years ago, from a 10yd length of Harris tweed I got in a thrift store for $1/yd. I used the synthetic one from his pipe band uniform as a pattern. It worked just fine. I scrounged leather knotted buttons, small for the body and large for the cape.

The only thing I would do differently is use 18th century tailoring methods rather than modern 'bag' construction. It doesn't sit well with the lining being a whole separate component. And it really needs topstitching around the collar, the center front of the body, and the hem of the cape.

If the 18th century method is something you want to know about, let me know and I'll prep a series of pics to post to the thread, so you can see what I mean. I like the way it causes shell and lining to handle as one.

Verity
    I would love to see that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, this is my first time posting attachments, so let's hope it works.
    And I hope this makes sense to you.

This is how lined garments were constructed in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Place shell fabric and lining fabric (shell is dark brown in the pics) of one panel wrong sides together. Place next panel's shell fabric right sides together with first panel's shell fabric, and same next panel's lining fabric right sides together with first panel's lining fabric. Make sure you align the edge where they are supposed to be seamed together. Stitch that seam, omitting the last inch of the seam at each end.

Press panel 2 fabrics towards each other and away from panel 1. Add any subsequent panels in the same way.

Slip stitch the lining fabric panels to each other at the ends of the seams you just did, and slip stitch the shell fabric panels in the same way.

Now press the hem edge of the shell under. Press the hem edge of the lining under, just a smidge deeper than the shell hem.

Stitch the lining to the shell. The needle should go all the way through to the right side of the shell fabric, so the hem functions as a top stitch. This is called prick stitching. Keep the prick-stitches small so they are not obvious from the outside.

Final pic is of a wool waistcoat lined with midweight linen, and sewn with a fairly coarse linen thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh. I don't see my pics. What did I do wrong?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verity View Post
    Sigh. I don't see my pics. What did I do wrong?
    Check here
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...s_faq_pictures

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast